Reloading kit

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

Reloading kit

Post by Kalrog »

I am going to get started reloading fairly soon because I can't afford the factory ammo for .44Mag / .45ACP like I can for 9mm. I am seriously thinking that a Lee 4 hole turret kit would be just about perfect and get me started for just over $100 after I get the dies and powder.

So here is the problem. I like to actually see something before I buy it. I went to the Sportsman's Warehouse around here and they had some MEC presses, some Dillon presses, and a few other things but no Lee equipment that I could see (despite the LEE logo on their website). So does anyone know a good reloading shop in the Austin (or north) area that I could check out the Lee equipment?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Lee eqipment is good to start out learning on. It isn't the Cadillac of the reloading world. Lee stuff is more like a Saturn. It looks cheap, feels cheap, but it works as it is intended. Thier presses are much more durable than they appear. The Auto Prime looks and feels more like something made by Mattel, but it has a reputation as one of the best tools on a reloaders bench.

Dillon is arguably some of the best reloading equipment made and the price reflects that. Where Lee shine is allowing a person to try thier hand at handloading without breaking the bank. If it turns out not be your thing, then your not out a lot of money.

I feel another positive to starting with Lee is due to the perceived lack of quality that one pays closer attention to what is being done. This closer attention has the effect of helping to learn the process of loading.

Go with Lee. I did and didn't look back. Of course I did upgrade to a Dillon a couple of years later. I still have my first Lee press and will be bolting it to the bench again soon so that I can learn a new caliber.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Lyman All-American Turret Press

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Kalrod:
What part of the state do you call home? I'm in Friendswood, 25 miles south of downtown Houston.

Like dws1117, if you like reloading, I think you'll move up to a progressive. I have a Lyman All-American Turret press I got back in the early 70's that's not getting any use. I'd be happy to lend it to you, but it was a present so I can't sell it or give it away. If you'd like to use it and same money for a progressive, you're welcome to it.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Mon May 30, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Here is an interesting discussion concerning Lee equpiment,

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=19384

This post from the above link pretty much sums up Lee:

Well for sure your gonna stir the poo poo. I've got to tell you I lived in Phoenix a few years ago and all my reloading stuff was stored up in Idaho and it was green. I wanted to do a little reloading and just didn't have the time to get back to get all that neat green stuff down to Phoenix.

I got out Cabela's catalog an lo and behold there was this $69.00 Anniversery reloading kit with everything but a set of dies. It even had a nice reloading manual. I ordered it and a couple of die sets. When I got it I said to myself, self this stuff is all plastic and aluminum and it won't hold togather very long.

Well here it is a lot of years later and Most all my green stuff is gone. I had a lot of yard sales when I moved back to Idaho. The Lee powder measure and the scale are some of the most accurate I have ever used. I did break the handle of the priming tool, Lee sent me a new one free.

The dies, especially the collet dies load nice ammunition.

Well I've agreed with you, but your still gonna stir up a hornets nest. In fact almost evertime this issue comes up in this forum that happens. Anyway I do really like their equipment and the service deparment has been outstanding.

I load one pretty good sized magnum, the Rem 8mm Mag and it is as easy with Lees little press as it was in my Rockchucker. Lets see at the present date the following goes thru this old Anniversery set.

8mm Rem Mag
308 Winchester
280 Remington
243 Winchester
44 Rem Magnum
40 S&W
and now gone
22-250
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
308 Norma Mag
338 Win Mag
357 Pistol

Lots of ammo thru one with no trouble. I got to admit all those other folks making reloading equipment are building stuff heck for stout, only problem is I've never needed a D8 cat to fill a post hole.

I would expect you to get some nagitive feedback from this post.

Just keep smiling and loading. Enjoy others opinions even if they don't agree with you. That's what makes living in this country so great.
[/quote]

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

dws1117 wrote:Here is an interesting discussion concerning Lee equpiment,

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=19384

This post from the above link pretty much sums up Lee:
[/quote]

I actually have already read that thread. Thanks for the link though.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Then what's the problem? Just buy it already! :D

USMC-COL

Lee Equipment

Post by USMC-COL »

I've used Lee equipment for many years. First because it was inexpensive and later because I got used to it and didn't want to change. I do have a couple of non-Lee dies.

I have used the Lee equipment to load at least 10 calibers - long guns and handguns. With the Turret press I can load a few hundred rounds a night while watching TV as I did last night in preparation for the state match in Friendswood this weekend.

I tried the Lee 1000, but I wasn't impressed. Too finicky. The Turret works just fine so I went back to the Turret. I will sell the Lee 1000 to someone that likes it better.

For my long guns I enjoy using the Lee hand press, again while watching TV. I feel I have better control of the process with it. I'll put my handloaded ammo with the hand press against anyone else's - whether 7mm Mag, 45-70, or other.

Bottom line, my experiences with Lee equipment have been mostly positive over many years, including their customer service.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Two words - - - LEE ROCKS! 8)

The best bang for your buck out there! (pun intended) :wink:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

DJW

Post by DJW »

Kalrog;
I understand about wanting to "see" something before I buy it. Feel the same way. In the Austin area(to which you referred in your original post)you might try the second floor at McBrides on Lamar. I believe they have some Lee stuff set up there. Red's on 1825 up in Pfleugerville is another possibility on the far north part of the area. In central Austin there is a place called Detection, Inc. or AKA "cost +10% gunshop" where Jim has a real basic single stage loader mounted on his desk. Another alternative is to visit the local gun shows in Austin or San Antonio(this weekend) run by Saxet and see which suppliers have Lee stuff mounted on their displays. Hope you can find some place where you can actually touch and see just what you are buying, it is most reassuring.
DJW

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I have been to Red's - and I don't go to McBride's anymore. Actually I will be at Red's tomorrow over lunch for some range time ;-)

I will have to hit the gun show on the 3rd weekend this or next month.

Patrick McCarthy

loaders

Post by Patrick McCarthy »

I just got my Dillon 550b and I couldn't be a happier camper. I used single stage rcbs years ago and got out of reloading, sold the RCBS stuff.
I started again with the single stage lee and it did ok. I started shooting IDPA and got a Dillon 550B. After your setups you can change cal. very quickly and be making good ammo in 15 mins again.
I shoot a lot of 9mm, .45auto and .40 cal. I shoot a fair amount of 7.62x25, I practic with my carrie gun(A Mak.) and play with my CZ83(in .380).
And when I have time and/or brass I do some rifle.
The Dillon will let you load one case at a time or fify pistol cases in five minutes.
I've been told that the 650 is faster, but I can clear out a problem with my 550B and keep on going quicker than having to reindex the 650. (ok, I could be wrong)
I do shoot between 200 and 700 rounds of misc. ammo a week.(when I can afford it)
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Return to “Reloading Forum”