Zero Bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rodnocker1
Posts in topic: 1

Zero Bullets

Post by rodnocker1 »

I am thinking of getting some Zero Bullet Company 125 gr JHP's. I had originally thought about getting the 147 gr but since I am shooting 124 gr FMJ's right now, the 125 gr would be closer to my practice round. Has anyone had any experience with these and if so, how did you like them? I can get them for $322.00 shipped for 6,000 bullets. I had thought about loading these for Donna to use when she gets her CHL (I understand about the whole reload/carry issue) but if they have poor (no) expansion characteristics, it would be a waste of money and more importantly, more dangerous/less protection for both her and bystanders. Also, any opinions on Silvertip bullets?
Rodney

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I wouldn't use any reloads for carry ammo. Use them for practice, but buy good fresh factory ammo for carry. Silvertips are pretty good but there are better choices - - - I like Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Golden Saber the CorBon DPX is pricey but may well be the best self defense load going.

Remember, only you can put a price on your life and safety.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

cxm

Re: Zero Bullets

Post by cxm »

All the modern JHP bullets from major makers work fine.

There is no reason not to load your own ammo assuming you are a careful experienced re-loader. You will save enough money to let you do some practice with your actual carry load.

Zero bullets have been around a long time and probably work ok... you might try shooting some into water and see how they expand, but I think penetration depth is at least as important as expansion.

FWIW

Chuck

rodnocker1 wrote:I am thinking of getting some Zero Bullet Company 125 gr JHP's. I had originally thought about getting the 147 gr but since I am shooting 124 gr FMJ's right now, the 125 gr would be closer to my practice round. Has anyone had any experience with these and if so, how did you like them? I can get them for $322.00 shipped for 6,000 bullets. I had thought about loading these for Donna to use when she gets her CHL (I understand about the whole reload/carry issue) but if they have poor (no) expansion characteristics, it would be a waste of money and more importantly, more dangerous/less protection for both her and bystanders. Also, any opinions on Silvertip bullets?
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

HankB

Post by HankB »

"Zero" is what I consider to be an "Off Brand." I might consider their JHPs for practice or plinking, but not for serious carry. (You mentioned you understand the reload/carry issue, so I won't go into that.)

Quite a few years back I tried some lead Zero bullets in .38 Special . . . after firing about a dozen rounds of their lead bullets at target velocity, my revolver barely had visible rifling, they leaded so badly. :ack:

A buddy tried some, too, and he ended up with flakes of lead visible in the bore of his Model 19, and no visible grooves at all.

Presumably their JHPs won't have the same problem . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

pistolchamp

Zero Bullet Company

Post by pistolchamp »

I used to load Zero bullets in 38 special HBWC and round nose 158 grain commercially with no real problems or complaints, but, I haven't owned that company in about 25 years, so I can't answer you about them today.

NEVER, use reloads as your carry load... practice 'til you can't stand it, but, please use fresh factory ammo for your carry load. Cor-Bon DPX are really good in all calibers... but a bit pricey, cheap if you factor in the value of your family's lives.

Return to “Reloading Forum”