Can I decrease OAL on loaded rounds?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wrightcrew
Posts in topic: 3

Can I decrease OAL on loaded rounds?

Post by wrightcrew »

I have a question for the experienced reloaders out there...

I have started to load some for my Taurus 1911, and I loaded several 230 JHP rounds to an OAL of 1.260. The loading data I have shows a min OAL of 1.200 and a max OAL of 1.275. The rounds I loaded to 1.260 will not feed properly in my magazines, so I need to have a shorter OAL. I'm using Lee equipment and used the factory crimp die after I seated the bullets. My question is......is it okay to shorten the OAL on the loaded rounds using the bullet seating die? If so, should I run them through the factory crimp die again after the adjustment?

Thanks in advance!

nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nuparadigm »

If I wanted to shorten the OAL of already-crimped rounds, I would do it in the way you suggest .... and I'd re-crimp afterwards.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Tom

Re: Can I decrease OAL on loaded rounds?

Post by Tom »

wrightcrew wrote:My question is......is it okay to shorten the OAL on the loaded rounds using the bullet seating die? If so, should I run them through the factory crimp die again after the adjustment?

Thanks in advance!
I have done just that, more than once. I have had mostly OK results but on occasion, when there was
a heavy crimp, seating deeper has caused lead or jacket material to peel back a bit. In that case I pulled
the bullets.

Try seating a few to see if you encounter any problems due to the crimp.
If not then you can do them all that way.
And as suggested, recrimp them at the new depth.

But if you do have problems with the jacket then you may have to pull the bullets, save the powder,
re-bell the case mouth, reload the powder, reseat to new depth, and then crimp. Not horrible but a bit of
work.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Kind Regards,

Tom

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I had to do this once too. You are in some very good company. :lol: Me.
It was a pain but they sure did feed good after I did it. :hurry:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
wrightcrew

Post by wrightcrew »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it and let you know how it turns out.

Topic author
wrightcrew

Post by wrightcrew »

Decreased OAL with the bullet seating die, recrimped, and everything worked out good. Thanks for the feedback.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

A cautionary tale about OAL:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/setback.html

It's important to note (as the article points out) that .40S&W is a factory "+P+" round, with very high pressures. The .45 ACP is much less at risk for these kinds of failures.

More important is the reminder to shoot your carry ammo regularly. Not to mention, the incident would have been avoided if the policy didn't require repeated loading and unloading. Lesson learned: keep your gun loaded!

Kevin

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

KBCraig makes a very good point regarding OAL and bullet setback.
I think it is important to remind folks often about OAL. We need to remember that it is the area under the bullet that defines the pressure. Bullets of different lengths seated to the same OAL will develop different pressures. This is not a big issue for the 9mm and 45acp but it is a huge issue with the 40S&W.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The best way I know to adjust OAL is to fire them downrange. ;-)

Seriously though, good info in this thread. I'm sure I'll be referring to it later when I get into reloading.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Return to “Reloading Forum”