For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

this is interesting

Post by ghostrider »

turning 9mm cases into 40 JHP

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

AFAmmo

Re: this is interesting

Post by AFAmmo »

Neat.
I saw a similar article on how to make jacketed .223's using .22lr brass.

Don2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Don2 »

I have always like the idea of swaging bullets along with making jackets out of common materials like spent brass and tubing.
I really like it, BUT never got into it because of the costs involved in specialized tools. I already have a bunch of money invested in reloading stuff....it would be fun to get involved in this venture also.

I have seen some shortcut tools made to work out of regular dies...it just needs to be looked into more closely. ;-)

You use to be able to buy half jackets for lead bullets cheap, but have not seen any in many years.....!!

Don2

jdkinman

Post by jdkinman »

Cast Boolits is my internet home and the guys that swage still continue to absolutely amaze me.

Like y'all, I've given it some serious thought but just can't convince myself to shake loose with the bucks. Casting cost me enough as it is--and I got into that, originally (like everyone else) to SAVE money.

JD

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've always been happy with my cast bullets and see no need for jacketed for the pistol calibers I shoot most often, but I shoot far more of a pistol ammo than a rifle.

I'd only be interested in walking down that road if I was shooting rifles a LOT -- like thousands and thousands of rounds a year.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Don2

Post by Don2 »

Jumping Frog wrote:I've always been happy with my cast bullets and see no need for jacketed for the pistol calibers I shoot most often, but I shoot far more of a pistol ammo than a rifle.

I'd only be interested in walking down that road if I was shooting rifles a LOT -- like thousands and thousands of rounds a year.
I'd like to " Walk down that road" if'n I had the extra cash..!!!
I think it would be a fun add-on to reloading to make jackets from tubing and bullet brass...etc.
Next investment will be a Hornady LnL AP like AndyC got....Bet he is having fun pulling that handle and watching the bullets drop from that chute like quarters from a one armed bandit. ;-)

Use to have a Dillon Square Deal, but was working on it as much as I was using it.
So I sold it as is, and just never got another one yet. So a Hornady LnL AP is in my future.... :cup:

Don2

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

This is actually how both Speer and Hornady started out in the ammunition business - swaging spent .22LR cases into jackets for rifle bullets.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Don2

Post by Don2 »

NcongruNt wrote:This is actually how both Speer and Hornady started out in the ammunition business - swaging spent .22LR cases into jackets for rifle bullets.
I was reading about that a while back about Hornady's history and some of the others.
Very interesting in itself.
Plus, the RCBS press....Rock Chucker Bullet Swage . I'm not sure if they are still built the way they started out being?

I have been saving 22 LR brass for years now...I have a 5 gallon bucket full now plus a little more.
Was just going to sell it or maybe make some 223 jackets, but never bought the dies. :cryin

Don2

Return to “Reloading Forum”