9mm reloads for IDPA - chrony anyone?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 4

9mm reloads for IDPA - chrony anyone?

Post by age_ranger »

I'm reloading 9mm for IDPA and have found out it's too slow to use.

124gr Magtech FMJ
3.6gr Hodgdon Titegroup
Mixed brass
Federal primers
1.136" OAL
.356" crimp

I had the chance to chrony it at the last match and it was at 955fps. Any idea how much I should bump the powder charge to get the required 1008fps??

I've loaded up some 3.8gr powder charges to try out but don't have a chrony yet. Are there any ranges that will chrony my reloads or will rent me a chrony? Anyone else have 9mm load data they'd like to share?
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Thane
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Thane »

I had to check a manual or two to find data for Titegroup with 124-g bullets. The Lee manual lists a suggested starting charge of 4.1 grains, with a "never exceed" load of 4.4 grains (Above that would venture into +P territory). I don't know what testing firearm Lee used, but they list a velocity of 1,063 fps for that minimum load. I couldn't find data in my other manuals (my Hodgdon's manual has grown legs and walked off somewhere, it seems... :willynilly: )

So you've basically got what I've heard referred to as "bunny-fart" loads. No wonder they're slow. Where did you get your data?

I'd bump the scale on up to the recommended starting load, and forget about the "soft" loads.

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I started low in order to work up the load. A guy at the match had a chrony that he was kind enough to share for a few rounds. I'm not far off of the requirement. I've loaded up some a few tenths of a grain heavier to see how they shoot. I'll load up some of the bunny farts for the wife to shoot. She'll appreciate the lighter recoil and It'll save me powder.

I'm thinking I'd like to buy a chrony..........just seems easier than waiting to find someone who has one.

Thane

Post by Thane »

Do the bunny loads cycle the action? I'm assuming so, 'else you'd have dropped them already.

Hadn't thought of using them for a different purpose. As long as they cycle the action and go where they're pointed, they sound like ideal "new shooter" training rounds.

And, as you pointed out, they save on powder.

That being said, I personally still wouldn't deliberately load that soft, to avoid potential squibs if nothing else. Heck, I'm trying to get my loading area cleaned up so I can hot-rod some .45 Colt out of my Ruger Blackhawk. Recoil and I just seem to get along... :lol: Additionally, like with the 9mm or .45, I'd hesitate to assemble soft loads simply because I'd be afraid they could get put in a magazine as defensive ammo unintentionally (I sometimes carry 230-grain FMJ in .45, when I'm running low on my normal ammo).

If that's not a concern here, and if you find those soft loads make a good training load, by all means use them! :lol: I'd still use at least 4.0 grains for IDPA, more likely 4.1-4.2 grains, to ensure all rounds have enough power (I've seen some of those steel stages, and a bunny fart ain't gonna knock those steel poppers over).

DrKyle1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DrKyle1 »

You will only need to bump 0.1-0.2gr on the powder if you have consistent velocity. What was the spread of the velocities - high & low, etc. Was that 955 the average or the high or low? Really need to get w/ someone that has a chrony.

Are you set on 124gr bullets? What platform are you shooting? I made my girlfriend about 2000 147gr montana gold, mixed brass, winchester primers pushed by 3.2-3.3gr titegroup & get about 132pf. out of a Glock 17. She shoots a Glock 34 so she will prob get a bit higher pf given the slightly longer barrel. They shoot nice & soft.

Good luck & the usual disclaimers of what works in my guns may not work in yours & for information purposes only stuff applies!
Dr. Kyle

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I'm using a Beretta PX4. The 955fps was the avarage of 10 shots with the overall "spread" being +/- 8fps. We had some bowling pins at the last match and they knocked them over very well. No issues whatsoever with reliability and they cycle the slide just fine. I'm finding that half the fun of reloading is seeing what your rounds will do. I'm enjoying it very much so far. I've bumped the charge up by .2gr. I'll see where that puts me and go from there.

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

If you're close to the Bastrop area (basically Austin), you're welcome to use my Chrony...

phddan

Post by phddan »

Your welcome to use my chrono and backyard range, if your in the nieghborhood.
Goes for anyone on this board as well.

Dan

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

age_ranger wrote:I'm thinking I'd like to buy a chrony..........just seems easier than waiting to find someone who has one.
Hey, they're not that expensive. I was surprised. (Linky)

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

That's not a bad price! I wonder if you get what you pay for with chrony's though? I haven't started my homework on them yet. Hi-Power, you going to the match on Saturday? I'll be there for sure......already got my kitchen pass. :lol:

I'm in Plano, Tx..........I think I'm a bit far form you guys to use your chrony's but thank you very much for the offers!!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

age_ranger wrote:That's not a bad price! I wonder if you get what you pay for with chrony's though?
My first was an Oehler 35P for about $350.

My second was a Chrony for about $70.

After comparing results, the Chrony is the one that I use most.

The Oehler is probably more accurate but the difference I found is small.
It also computes and prints the High, Low, SD, etc on a tape for me.

With the chrony, I carry a notepad and jot down the velocities to enter into an Excel spreadsheet to get the same results.

For most folks, one of the Chrony models will do just fine.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

age_ranger wrote:Hi-Power, you going to the match on Saturday? I'll be there for sure......already got my kitchen pass. :lol:
Nah, I don't think I'm ready for a big match like that yet. Good luck to you, though.

Return to “Reloading Forum”