Adjusting Dillon Powder Measures

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cxm
Posts in topic: 4

Adjusting Dillon Powder Measures

Post by cxm »

A while ago I bought a brass knob to go on the Dillon powder measures I use with my 550b loading system. This added a lot of convenience to changing powder weight thrown by the measure.

The down side is the little brass knob cost $25 or so.... too much to justify installaion on all six of my Dillon powder measures. Someone found an answer that I found to be excellent... and thought it worth sharing.

Home Depot has a plastic knob that will fit over the adjustment bolt on the Dillon powder measure, which allows easy changes to the throw weight. The best thing is it only costs $1.20. Here is the description:

UPC #: 0 30699 83748 9
Crown Bolt Inc.
Cerritos, CA 90703
The description on the bag is:
KNOB-FLOWERETTE
BLACK
5/16'
7 9
PLASTIC

Be aware this can be hard to find... employees don't seem to know what it is or where to look for it. Look in hardware dept. in drawers with the name of the maker (Crown Bolt.)

It takes a little finding, but it is an excellent accessory at a low price.

V/r

Chuck
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

Great tip 8)

Thanks!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Chuck:
Have you had any trouble using the knob? I saw something similar on 1911foru.com, but was reluctant to try it for fear it might cause the adjustment to wander a bit. I was concerned about the weight of a brass knob and it not being truly "balanced." The weight of a plastic knob may not be an isue. My Dillons have been very stable, but I'd really like to try your method.

Thanks,
Chas.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

I've read of using the plastic knob on several forums. It seems to be quite popular. The only thing negative that I have seen posted was trying to find them. As cxm stated, they can be quite difficult to locate. I haven't found them in either of the two Lowes or two Home Depots near my house, but I keep looking.

Topic author
cxm

Post by cxm »

You have to be very patient to find them... but armed with the UPC number, vendor name and info to look in the drawers you can find them.

Any Home depot using the UPC code can look in their cumputer and tell you if they have them, or if not other stores that do have them.

FWIW

Chuck
dws1117 wrote:I've read of using the plastic knob on several forums. It seems to be quite popular. The only thing negative that I have seen posted was trying to find them. As cxm stated, they can be quite difficult to locate. I haven't found them in either of the two Lowes or two Home Depots near my house, but I keep looking.

Topic author
cxm

Post by cxm »

So far I have not had a problem with the single brass knob I have or with the plastic ones... so far so good.

My Dillon measures are always on the mark... with pistol charge bars they seldom very more than 0.1 grain.

FWIW

Chuck
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Chuck:
Have you had any trouble using the knob? I saw something similar on 1911foru.com, but was reluctant to try it for fear it might cause the adjustment to wander a bit. I was concerned about the weight of a brass knob and it not being truly "balanced." The weight of a plastic knob may not be an isue. My Dillons have been very stable, but I'd really like to try your method.

Thanks,
Chas.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Maybe try straight from the source - or at least dealing with them prior to going to home depot:

http://www.crownbolt.com/

Sounds like an excellent idea!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Great idea. I bought two of the brass knobs at a gun show, but for a buck and a half, I can get some spares.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

cxm wrote:You have to be very patient to find them... but armed with the UPC number, vendor name and info to look in the drawers you can find them.

Any Home depot using the UPC code can look in their cumputer and tell you if they have them, or if not other stores that do have them.

FWIW

Chuck
Chuck:

You're not kidding are you!? I've tried three Home Depots, two of which show to have around a dozen in stock. I can't even find an empty bin. One guy really tried to help me find them, but he admitted the computer inventory for small items is often inaccurate.

Here is the Home Depot SKU #: 580-978. The UPC code is just as Chuck gave us.

Oh well, I'll keep trying but I'm running out of Home Depots close to Friendswood, or downtown Houston where my office is located. Could you post a photo of the knob Chuck? I'll print that and maybe it'll help to show the sales folks what it looks like.

Thanks,
Chas.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I'll look at my local Home Depots (2) and Lowes(2). If I find them, I'll pick up a handfun to distribute, for a nominal handling fee. :twisted:

I'm kidding about the fee. :twisted:

Topic author
cxm

Send....

Post by cxm »

Email my your mailing address and how many you need... my local store has some left. I'll be happy to send yoiu some.

V/r

Chuck

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
cxm wrote:You have to be very patient to find them... but armed with the UPC number, vendor name and info to look in the drawers you can find them.

FWIW

Chuck
Chuck:

You're not kidding are you!? I've tried three Home Depots, two of which show to have around a dozen in stock. I can't even find an empty bin. One guy really tried to help me find them, but he admitted the computer inventory for small items is often inaccurate.

Here is the Home Depot SKU #: 580-978. The UPC code is just as Chuck gave us.

Oh well, I'll keep trying but I'm running out of Home Depots close to Friendswood, or downtown Houston where my office is located. Could you post a photo of the knob Chuck? I'll print that and maybe it'll help to show the sales folks what it looks like.

Thanks,
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Chuck:
I've sent a PM with the information. This is way beyond the call of duty and I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chas.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Honestly...

I am doing my best to follow this discussion...

I need to go to Reloading 101 and figure out this stuff for real...

Don't get me wrong, I know you could have all the reloading equipment in the world, but not know how to use it, could be a bit dangerous...

Here's how I am looking at this...I either get the stuff that is not being used by a family member anymore...

Or go out and get a "basic" one caliber setup...The dies, press, brass and primers, powder, bullets for the .40 I would try to knock out first...

Then I recall his (my Dad's) setup eventually included a brass cleaner/tumbler etc etc...

There's never an end to it is there??? :lol:
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

stevie_d_64 wrote:I need to go to Reloading 101 and figure out this stuff for real...
Another board member asked about a reloading seminar and I've been pretty slow about posting the question. However, I'd be happy to have both of you guys over to my home and go over reloading in as much or as little detail as you wish. If I get enough responses about a seminar, I'll do it in that format at PSC.

Regards,
Chas.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I'd be game for a seminar. Heck I'd even lend my dillon to the cause.

Return to “Reloading Forum”