Accurate # 7 for pistol

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
velo99
Posts in topic: 1

Accurate # 7 for pistol

Post by velo99 »

Powder has been tight around here. In the run up to the election I decided to get some more primers and powder. The only pistol powder available at the reload store was accurate number 7. Wonder if anyone knows anything about it I think it helps to get out of our comfort zones with different components.

Jumping Frog

Re: Accurate # 7 for pistol

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've used it for .45 ACP. It was alright, but there are other powders I like better.

It meters really well. It is a fine grained powder. It is slower than the more common pistol powders, which means it fills the case more. I tried it when I first started handloading because a double charge will overflow the case.

If you are cautious and start with a minimum charge, you'll find it leaves a lot of unburnt powder, leaving things pretty dirty. I wasn't trying for maximum velocity (which is what slow powders are better for), but just wanted target rounds. It is not a powder I will purchase again for .45 ACP.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mr surveyor

Re: Accurate # 7 for pistol

Post by mr surveyor »

I've used AA#7 in 9mm, .45 acp, .357 mag and .44 mag. Also loaded some .38 spl jsp rounds with #7. I have since gravitated to #9 for the magnum revolver loads and #5 for the semi-autos. If #7 is "what you have", it can probably be made to work ... although there are most likely better caliber specific powders (if you can find them).

Just the experience of an old rookie.

JD
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “Reloading Forum”