For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dub
Posts in topic: 2

Newb Reloading Questions

Post by Dub »

Gents,
Decades ago I used to reload shotshells in an old MEC. I stepped away from competition skeet plus darling bride won't eat wild game. Fast forward thirty some odd years and I have an opportunity to pick up some RCBS equipment (tunbler, medium, scale, press, etc) at a reasonable price. My question is, how difficult to find powder, primers, and bullets in the S.W. Houston area. I'm not looking to buy in great quantity, just enough to get me started. I've got ten years worth of 9mm out in the garage that is going to waste. Also, my SPEER cookbook was published in 1963 :lol: so I need to pick up a new guide as well.
Dub

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Newb Reloading Questions

Post by PBR »

Dub wrote:Gents,
Decades ago I used to reload shotshells in an old MEC. I stepped away from competition skeet plus darling bride won't eat wild game. Fast forward thirty some odd years and I have an opportunity to pick up some RCBS equipment (tunbler, medium, scale, press, etc) at a reasonable price. My question is, how difficult to find powder, primers, and bullets in the S.W. Houston area. I'm not looking to buy in great quantity, just enough to get me started. I've got ten years worth of 9mm out in the garage that is going to waste. Also, my SPEER cookbook was published in 1963 :lol: so I need to pick up a new guide as well.
powder is about the only thing that is still hard to find but some places usually still have decent supply especially for smaller 1lb bottles. big guys shooting supplies and houston reloading supplies usually have powders in stock
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
Dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dub »

Thanks for the information. I brought home all off the equipment yesterday which in the original packaging (like new in box). Will lay it out in the garage and take inventory to determine exactly what I have and go from there. Plan to make the drive over to Big Guy's in Pearland Saturday and check them out.

Thanks again for the responses!
Dub

austinCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by austinCHL »

midsouthshooterssupply has hazmat free shipping going on right now as long as you get 5k primers (you can mix/match types and brands) and their prices are pretty good. I was able to pick up 5k CCI SPP for $150.
For just plinking at the range I use Rainier bullets for 9mm and 40S&W. You can pick those up in bulk for about 10c ea. at midwayusa.

As for powder - that's an entirely different story right now - I think most people are running low. Good news is - if you're just reloading small pistol (9mm, 40, 45) one pound will get you between 800-1200 rounds.
I would recommend the following powders for the above calibers based on their metering: Winchester231, HodgdonHP38, AcrruateArms No. 5. You can typically find a pound of Unique laying around but it doesn't meter nearly as well - sometimes having swings of .3 grains out of my rcbs and hornady powder drops - but as long as you're not loading for max pressures you should be fine.

As for a manual - I'm partial to the sierra manual. It's a 3-ring binder so you can move things around to your liking and I personally like the layout quite a bit.

hope this helps.
-austinCHL

Return to “Reloading Forum”