Why reload?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Why reload?

Post by mrvmax »

Beiruty wrote:Note, for those who load for precision rifle shooting, the joyment and the feel of achievement and being proud is priceless.
Especially, when you hit headshots at 500 yrds. :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
[ Image ]
Agreed, I like when my hand loads out perform factory ammo (even the quality factory ammo).

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by olafpfj »

I shoot several milsurp rifles and reloading is about the only way I can afford to shoot them.

30-06 M1 Garand
7.5x55 Swiss
303 British

Factory ammo runs about $0.80 to $1.20 and I can reload for around $0.40-0.45

I am also loading a lot of 38spl and now I'm working in 44mag as well. The 38 I load for fun target ammo and the 44mag I'm trying to dial in a hunting load and just to play around with.

I can do 5.56 NATO plinking ammo for my AR15 at about $0.20 per round.

For me it is all about cost and I keep my setup very small using an RCBS single stage press. I got a hefty work bonus a while back and bought the RCBS digital scale and powder dispenser as a gift to myself which I love.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

1. Satisfaction. I can load ammo that is much more accurate than factory.

2. Cost. As many have said, if not for reloading, I would not be able to shoot some of my rifle as much as I do now. Since I cast my own pistol projectiles, I can produce 45 ACP for $5 per 100.

3. Availability. During the shortages of the past few years, I have never worried about where I was going to get my ammo. Other than putting my 22's away to preserve my supply, I did not slow down on any other caliber that I shoot/reload for. I also built a 300 AAC rifle that I would not have been able to use unless I reloaded, due to lack of availability.

4. FUN. I love it!!

Do it because you WANT to. It is more than a money saving adventure. I have loaded all of my ammo on a single stage press for many years. I may end up getting a progressive some day, but I have more time to reload than I do to shoot, so I feel it is unnecessary to spend money on a new setup when I can crank out good ammo on my single stage. I timed myself one day, and can make 100 rounds of 45 in just over an hours time. I do not typically load at that rate, but I could if needed.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

So many great reasons to reload.
I have actually reduced the number of calibers I reload for in the last few years, I'm down to 13 now!

All the good reasons are there:
Saves money
Get better and more accurate ammo
Ammo on demand when the stores are dry and have been that way for months on end.
It's my right as an American
Impress your friends
Expand your mind

But the most important reason:

It' another part of the thing I enjoy doing most!

I also cast from 28 unique molds in different shapes and weights for almost all of the calibers I shoot.

It's fun and keeps me out of trouble.

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

However, I seldom actually load 230 FMJ. Instead, I go for more 'exotic' profiles such as a Oregon Trail 200 grain SWC that goes for around $128 per thousand or a Berry's 180 grain Hollow Base Round Nose that goes for around $140 per thousand. I can load those component combinations for around 20 cents per round.
LOL...I load 200SWC .45acp for about .12-13/rd, and that is with Missouri Bullets, not with home-cast projectiles.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

AndyC wrote:Start casting and you'll get that down much further - if you can scrounge free lead, down to 4-5c ea
Key word being "if." I haven't been able to scrounge lead for ages.

ELB

Post by ELB »

The impetus for me was economics.

When I was in California in the 1990s, I started shooting in a revolver club at Wes Thompson's range, and I soon started reloading .38 Special. I calculated how many rounds I was likely to shoot in practice and matches in a year, then how much that would cost in the commercial fmj ammo I was buying. I then figured out what it cost to make a similar round out of components, and there was a substantial difference. I added in the cost of a Dillon Square-Deal-B and various tools (chrono, calipers, bullet puller, etc), ran out a plot and figured the break-even point between buying off the shelf and reloading was about 8,000 rounds, IIRC. That first year I reloaded about 10,000 rounds. Winner! I haven't reloaded since then tho. At the time, I was making .38 fmj rounds at about 5-8 cents apiece. Bet I can't do that now.

Bonus was seeing several GI ammo cans full of nice shiny brass and copper cartridges I had reloaded. Was a gorgeous sight. :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Reloading Forum”