Powder for 38spl

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 3

Powder for 38spl

Post by olafpfj »

I have a stock of Titegroup that I was given awhile ago but I'm not really convinced it's all that great for 38.

Any recommendations on something else and where I might even remotely be able to find it?

I'm thinking maybe Unique or Bullseye since I see those 2 powders come up a lot for 38.

I'm shooting plated 158gr RN and 158 XTP's from either a custom match python or a S&W 586. Both are chambered in 38 ONLY and NOT 357. I know they are normally 357 but these are not.

I also have some 158gr swaged wadcutters that I'm unsure what to do with but the 50 year reloads that I got with them shot fantastic.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

wally775
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Powder for 38spl

Post by wally775 »

I have started using CFEP(P for pistol) in several calibers including .38.
To some not the best powder but it has worked well for me
and I have others I could use.
Found it at local LGS and more than a couple of times at
Cabela's. You just have to look constantly.

Good Luck :tiphat:

y5e06

Post by y5e06 »

I have shot well over 5K rounds of .38 158gr LRN and 3.5gr Bullseye. BE is a very economical powder.
I've also run lots of Power Pistol, which works well too.
Its been years since i've tried any other powders as I'm content with my loads with these two. both powders also work well in .45acp, .40, 9mm.
power pistol really has some great velocity numbers if that interests you.

the only downside is they are both alliant powders. alliant has some of the worst published load data, very minimal. just one stated load and thats it.
web browsing and your own experimenting will tell you what's right. but in the end, no big deal i guess.
Morgan
CHL, TSRA, NRA-LIFETIME

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I use Unique, HP38 and AA#5 for various .38 spl loads
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

IMR 700x seems to be available at many places.
I load 7 different pistol calibers with it, including 38 special and 357 magnum.
It burns relatively clean and produces very good velocities.
Accuracy seems no better or worse than the HP38 or Titegroup I used before it became so scarce.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Green Dot, Trail Boss, and Power Pistol for me.

Not sure what's available, though.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Thanks! I'll give several of those a try.

Now where to find any of those in stock... "rlol"
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

txtaxman

Post by txtaxman »

olafpfj wrote:I have a stock of Titegroup that I was given awhile ago but I'm not really convinced it's all that great for 38.
Any recommendations on something else and where I might even remotely be able to find it?
I'm thinking maybe Unique or Bullseye since I see those 2 powders come up a lot for 38.
I'm shooting plated 158gr RN and 158 XTP's from either a custom match python or a S&W 586. Both are chambered in 38 ONLY and NOT 357. I know they are normally 357 but these are not.
I also have some 158gr swaged wadcutters that I'm unsure what to do with but the 50 year reloads that I got with them shot fantastic.
olafpfj, it would be interesting to know the reason you are "not really convinced it's all that great for 38."

Titegroup is a spherical powder which means powder measures will throw consistent charges. Hogdon's 2013 Annual Reloading Manual lists 38 Secial loading data for Titegroup using lead and jacketed bullets from 90 to 170 grains and 38 Special +P loads using lead and jacketed bullets from 110 to 170 grains.

I personally use Winchester 231 and WST in my .38 Special loads, but I would not hesitate to use Titegroup, especially if other powders were not available.
With respect to the 158gr swaged wadcutters, I suggest that you load them in light loads and shoot them just for fun. To add some background, I have been reloading and shooting 38 Specials since 1978.
Lamar County

natgas

Post by natgas »

txtaxman wrote:
olafpfj wrote:I have a stock of Titegroup that I was given awhile ago but I'm not really convinced it's all that great for 38.
olafpfj, it would be interesting to know the reason you are "not really convinced it's all that great for 38."

Titegroup is a spherical powder which means powder measures will throw consistent charges. Hogdon's 2013 Annual Reloading Manual lists 38 Secial loading data for Titegroup using lead and jacketed bullets from 90 to 170 grains and 38 Special +P loads using lead and jacketed bullets from 110 to 170 grains.

I personally use Winchester 231 and WST in my .38 Special loads, but I would not hesitate to use Titegroup, especially if other powders were not available.
With respect to the 158gr swaged wadcutters, I suggest that you load them in light loads and shoot them just for fun. To add some background, I have been reloading and shooting 38 Specials since 1978.

Are you sure? I'm seeing 3.2 to 3.9 gr for the 38 spl, 158 gr;
DoubleRFirearms; $20 transfers in The Woodlands/Conroe/Magnolia areas
DoubleRFirearms.net

Topic author
olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

txtaxman wrote:

Mainly it's because it's the only powder I've used for 38spl. I haven't been able to really experiment with anything else and everything I read on the internet recommends other powders. Sure I see people using Titegroup but it's not what is generally talked about.

I'm getting OK results but I think I could do better. I seem to have a slight consistency problem. For the most part my loads group well but there are definitely too many fliers for my taste. It could be the bullets since I'm not using really top of the line projectiles. I've been using 125gr Berrys, 158gr plated, and 158gr JHP from Nosler and Hornady. The Nosler and Hornady JHP shot really consistent so maybe that is the issue.

I don't know really...just looking for a different load than what I've been doing just for the sake of trying something else. That's one of many things I like about reloading. :thumbs2:

Don2

Post by Don2 »

I have not use any TG mainly because I don't have any.
But I'm happy using the old Red Dot, Unique and Bullseye, 231 powders.
I'm sure if there is load data, it should work ok...maybe not the best but thats what you must find out in your gun.....May work perfectly for you?

Don2

Return to “Reloading Forum”