Well....started doing casting... n' stuff.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
markthenewf
Posts in topic: 3

Well....started doing casting... n' stuff.

Post by markthenewf »

Started doing it for the 45/70. Have since started powder coating them. Have since picked up 45ACP molds. Have since picked up 9mm molds. Have since got a coleman stove and iron pot. Heading out to smelt up a few ingots. Goodbye weekends <sigh>.

Sure is fun, though. I do have to rework my alloy, though. I tried for a Lyman mix (90/5/5), but the boolits are dropping at about 385 and they should be 405 gr. I'm not surprised as the BHN is somewhere between 17-19. No biggie. Just an excuse to fiddle around some more.
Cheers!

Mark

Topic author
markthenewf

Re: Well....started doing casting... n' stuff.

Post by markthenewf »

Yeah, the NOE mold is nice. Only took about 3 sets of drops to get them all looking like that. Just using a Lee production bottom pour pot with a thermometer. Nothing fancy for sure. The 45ACP and 9mm molds are the standard Lee 6-cavity ones. Everyone says they work fine, so I'm going to start off with them. If I find they're good, I'll just stick with them.

I have perhaps 150# of lead from a colleague as well as some solder (for tin). I went to Rotometals to get the hard alloy mix (Super hard - 30% antimony & 70% lead) for the antimony. Those boolits are my first alloying and casting attempt but, like I said, they're coming in a bit harder than I anticipated. I'd like to keep them a bit softer and as close to 405gr as possible.

I can't locate anything directly local to me that is selling scrap, wheel weights, or whatever. I suppose I can just keep my eyes open and get it when I can.

My attempts to do 1/2# and 1# ingots today were not good. My hardware just won't cut it, though I managed about a dozen of each. Should be enough for me to do some better alloys. I need to get a good iron pot and perhaps a bigger ladle, such as an older fashioned plumbers ladle. Once I have that, I think my Coleman stove (liquid fuel not propane) will be more than adequate.
Cheers!

Mark

Topic author
markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

The reason I got into alloying is because I had no direct source for wheel weights or Lyman #2, but I did have Lead and solder. I'm just using a kitchen scale, a bit of math, and the Lee hardness test kit. Seems to be working out ok so far.

To that end, I may just start doing some stock-up ordering from Rotometals. I figure it's best to get it now while it's all still easily available and affordable.

I also just purchased a cast iron pot, a #2, and #3 casting ladle for doing better ingot and alloy work.
Cheers!

Mark

chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chuck j »

Can't beat cast iron , holds heat good . Your doing a fine job casting , they look great !

Don2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Don2 »

They look great..!!
Nothing like pouring your own. A little more work than just opening up a box of cast bullets you buy, but thats just part of the excitement.. :thumbs2:

Cast iron pots, I have found many at the flea markets. kind of shop around at the guys NOT selling pots or cookware. I found mine at a few vendors that had them under the table or in a box. They really don't expect to sell them so they don't put them in a high visibility spot.
And usually sell them cheap.

I bought one just like the small rcbs cast iron pot for $2.
Other bigger ones for 5 & $10ea. ( TIP: Look in odd places )

Wheel weights, you never know when you'll find them sometimes. I was given a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 ways full. Could not pick it up to put in truck bed, so I just put my gloves on and took them out of the bucket and threw them in the bed. That even gave me a chance to clean the crud out of the bucket that always get thrown in there. From chewing Bacci, to old tire stems and gum etc... :grumble
Ended up with about 90+ Ingots. I like the Saeco 4-Cavity Ingot Mold.
I have several brands and misc. other stuff I use, but like ingot molds because I can stack them better.

Stick with it, it'll grow on ya....

Don2

Return to “Reloading Forum”