Small Rifle Primer sizes

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 2

Small Rifle Primer sizes

Post by PBR »

Ran into a major issue last night. I have had 3500 rds of WCC 11 brass for 223/5.56 for quite some time now just sitting. Well broke everything out last night to start loading some up and ran into a huge issue with primer pockets. This brass was once fired and I processed it all some time back when I first got it. But for some reason the primer pockets are just ever so slightly over sized now. CCI and 7 1/2 Remington bench rest just fit little too loose for my liking. First thought was RCBS swage kit was not right in dimension, cause that's what I used to remove crimp. But them pulled some range pick up brass and knocked out the primers and swaged it with the RCBS and primers fit perfect. So just lost as too what happened, unless something was on the swage button and I didn't notice or what the heck happened. It seems that out of the 3500, 2500 of them are slightly loose and maybe 1000 are okay. So to make a long story short are there any small rifle primers just slightly larger or made for a tight fit? Heard Wolf and TulAmmo were just slightly large than CCI and others but I'm not sure. I hate to bite the bullet (so to say) and scrap the brass as I don't really have any other 223/5.56 brass right now. I sold everything else and kept this batch cause being once fired and all WCC.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Small Rifle Primer sizes

Post by PBR »

george wrote:Is it possible the cases had been loaded a little hot before they came into your possession?
They were factory cases once fired so I doubt they were, but guess you just never know. I wasn't the one who fired them but they were in raw form when I got them and could tell was once fired. I ended up finding some Tula primers while they did fit a touch better still too loose. Could still pop them back out pretty easy using decapping pin by hand. Looks like the scrap bin they are going. Still have no clue what happened unless some kind of build up or something was on the swage button and I just didn't catch it. Been so long ago when processed these I just have no idea.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Small Rifle Primer sizes

Post by ddstuder »

May have been fired through a full-auto weapon.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Return to “Reloading Forum”