What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

AndyC
Posts in topic: 30

Re: What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by AndyC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm

WildBill wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:42 am
It's been many years, but I always sized mine to 0.355" for the Python. I recall reading that Colts had a smaller bore that S&W and Ruger revolvers.
:tiphat: They do indeed - the Python bore is tapered at the very end. However:

1. A large part of accuracy is caused by how well the bullet fits the chamber-throat as it exits before entering the forcing-cone - many otherwise accurate revolvers have been ruined by a variance in the throat-diameter between the separate chambers. I've measured mine and they're fortunately all very consistent - this made choosing a size much simpler.

2. The taper only occurs at the end of the barrel. I don't want the bullet undersized while traveling down a .357" bore (for obvious reasons) - and the design of the TL fins (especially with my softer alloy) will allow the bullet to swage down to .355" muzzle-diameter with no fuss, much like a Brenneke slug's fins collapsing when exiting a full-choked shotgun.

It's a juggling act, but 1) I've had no pressure signs, 2) no leading at all and 3) the beast seems to be more accurate than I can shoot her, so no complaints here regarding accuracy :)
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Return to “Reloading Forum”