What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Re: What Did You Do In The Reloading Room This Week?

Post by K-Texas »

Good stuff, Andy C and LDP!

I have been working on the shotshell project for .357 and made a new batch on Saturday. The target I posted is just preliminary. I couldn't get downrange to change the target for each test and why 2 shotshells were fired into the same target. The center of the target looked good before I fired 43 JHPs through that same target which were from 5 tests from loads made just days before. A 158 gr. XTP in .357 Magnum with 17.1 grs. of AA 11FS where one cylinder was fired from both a 6-shot GP100 and a 7-shot from S&W 686+. Fired 10 rounds of the RMR 158 gr. PHP in .357 Mag with a 5.9 gr. Start Charge of AA No 2. 10 rounds of the 124 gr. HST 9mm where I had backed off the charge that chron'd 1219 FPS. Nonetheless, the Q-Model numbers are outstanding. The other load was the 147 gr. JHP I increased by .1 gr. for the Canik 4.47" TP9sa in an attempt to reach the 1118 FPS that load had chrono'd from my Shooting Partner's 5" S&W Mod 2.

The 158 gr. XTP load in .357 Mag was timely for my SP. He had an encounter with a very large sow herding 12 little piglets. The sow turned mean but not dangerous, so he did not shoot her with his 12 gauge while wearing the 686+ on his hip. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Nothing Saturday or Sunday but did make some empty cases earlier in the week. :fire
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SQLGeek »

I finally got some proper lighting installed in my work area in the garage. Now I just need a task light on the bench and I'll be in business.

I've been tinkering with this 200 gr Berry's plated flat point load for 45 ACP. My last attempt, 5.0 gr of HP 38 cycled reliably with consistent ejection but the cases are still sooty. I'm bumping that to 5.4 and will load up 20. If that looks good, I'm locking the recipe down and will make up a couple of boxes.

At the rate I've been developing this load, it will be done by 2025. :lol:

My next project will be to buy a revolver, thinking S&W 629, to have another expensive cartridge to reload.
Psalm 91:2

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SQLGeek »

AndyC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 am You need to get yourself a mold... :mrgreen:
I'm not brave enough to try casting yet but I know that'll eventually happen. :coolgleamA:
Psalm 91:2

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

AndyC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 am You need to get yourself a mold... :mrgreen:
I should have mentioned that your home cast bullet and coating look better than the one you labelled HiTek. I've had urges to cast for many years but a cancerous melanoma removed from my back in 1997 prevents that. Nowadays, anything I can do to reduce my exposure to lead, within reason, I try to do. Another reason I really like poly-coated bullets.

In other posts I've mentioned poly-coated hollow-points. Because seeing casting success always seems to peak my interest, for a little while at least, I checked to see if LEE still offers the .358" hollow-point mold and saw that they do. Not sure about the other mold makers, but I would expect that Lyman does as well. Cast around 12 BHN and poly-coat; well that's what I would try for a good defense bullet. The BHN might be a little +/-, but not a problem that would be hard to solve. ;-)

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

You're welcome, AndyC. But actually, the HiTek bullet shows a few more casting imperfections at the nose than those you made. ;-)

Almost forgot! I just came in from loading 124 gr. RMR In-House JHPs in 9 x 19mm. 4.2 grs. of No 2 with a CCI500 and OACL of 1.132". Been playing with these a bit for guys who are interested in a low recoil 130 Power Factor load and don't want to use a 147. Caution on the OACL: you'll need to find it for this bullet in your pistol's chamber. It's shaped like the Nosler about near the same quality, but the rounded nose and long shank could require a shorter OACL. If in doubt, follow the load recommendations for the SIERRA 125 gr. JHP usually loaded to around 1.075". ;-)

flechero
Posts in topic: 21

Post by flechero »

K-Texas wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:08 pm Almost forgot! I just came in from loading 124 gr. RMR In-House JHPs in 9 x 19mm.
Those are fantastic projectiles! Consistent, well made and super accurate in my DW 9mm. I load them over varying charges of Silhouette- depending on the purpose. I just recently bought another 3k of them!

Off topic but did you see the email the other day that said they [FINALLY] bought the machinery to do 45acp and 40, in house!! Can't wait!

Return to “Reloading Forum”