reloading hygiene

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

reloading hygiene

Post by Venus Pax »

I try to keep my work area clean, but I've read that not only are we exposed to lead from the bullet, but also from the primers.

I've started wearing latex gloves when doing any reloading, especially the depriming stage. (I can't believe all the trash that spent primers produce!).

Are latex gloves sufficient for protection against lead absorption? If not, what type of gloves are best and where can they be found?

(Yes, I know I had a similar post on another thread about the cleaning solvent.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

phddan

Post by phddan »

From what I've learned thru various reloading forums is skin contact isn't a problem, its inhaling the dust and fumes from lead.
Again, just wash up after leaving the reloading bench.

Dan

pbandjelly

Re: reloading hygiene

Post by pbandjelly »

Venus Pax wrote:Are latex gloves sufficient for protection against lead absorption? If not, what type of gloves are best and where can they be found?
Most surgeans I know stake their respective lives on the validity that latex keeps stuff out.
course, they also double-bag (DB) it.

I, as well, have thought about this in my upcoming foray into reloading, and gloves have crossed my mind as well.

I say better safe than birth-defects! :razz:
srsly, if it makes you feel better, and you don't mind the gloves, go fer it.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Make sure you are working in a well ventilated area. I work in my garage and always put a fan on. I don't wear any gloves but I do immediately wash my hands with soap and cold water after reloading. I really think that's all the precaution you need.

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I have been reloading lead bullets for many years. I do not wear gloves when I reload, only when I am cleaning my handguns. I am carefull to wash my hands after handling lead. I also try to keep my fingers out of my mouth and eyes until I wash them. Last Jan I had my annual physical. I requested that my blood test also check for lead. My doctor knows about my firearms and he agreed it was a good idea.

The results came back "Below Normal". My doctor then told me he was not surprised. The only case of high lead content he has seen in many years was a young child that had a father that melted his own bullets. This was proof enough to me that if you wash your hands after handling lead you will not have any lead issues. The ones that need to be concerned are the folks that melt their own bullets.

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

That's the kind of testimony I was hoping to hear.

I hate wearing them stupid gloves, anyway.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I keep a package of cleaning tolletes (baby wipes) on my bench and in my range bag that I use if I'm interupted (or want a drink or smoke) but also do a thorough washup after any reloading, shooting or cleaning activity using soap and a mild scrubby pad.

I am a little more carefull about ventilation and keep a small ionic air purifier on my bench.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

HankB

Post by HankB »

Lead from the bullets and the residue of spent primers are most often thought of, but ingesting powder isn't a good idea, either . . . double base powders contain nitroglycerine, which can affect cardiac function.

Still, having said that, normal reloading is not a health hazard, just don't eat or smoke (!) when you're at it, and be sure to wash your hands afterwards.

Casting bullets? Don't do it in an area where food is prepared, and be sure you sit upwind of the casting pot. When I had a basement to cast bullets in, I normally set up in front of a window and put an exhaust fan in it to suck the fumes out.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

brentpham

Re:

Post by brentpham »

Jeremae wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:26 pm I keep a package of cleaning tolletes (baby wipes) on my bench and in my range bag that I use if I'm interupted (or want a drink or smoke) but also do a thorough washup after any reloading, shooting or cleaning activity using soap and a mild scrubby pad.

I am a little more carefull about ventilation and keep a small ionic air purifier on my bench.
Me too, but I use a HEPA air purifier, the ionic really triggers my asthma
Ted Cruz

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I have taken to wet tumbling my brass before reloading. I'm sure that there is still some lead residue in the cases or primer pockets after I finish tumbling and rinsing them, but it must be greatly reduced.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Are latex gloves sufficient for protection against lead absorption? If not, what type of gloves are best and where can they be found?
Latex or Nitrile will work. I like 5 mil Nitrile (unpowdered) because I also use them for food prep and catering. You can actually get the nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight for about $6-$7 per 100/box when on sale. ($10 otherwise) Your grocer's pharmacy should also carry a selection of latex and nitrile gloves.

I'm pretty careful about my processes... mainly because my 10yo son loves to load. So I wet tumble w/ SS pins in the garage and wear nitrile gloves when decapping and handling/sorting dirty brass. (my son is not allowed to help on these steps) I also only load coated or plated bullets when he is helping Only after brass is clean it's brought into the house the reloading room, which doubles as my home office which is the other reason, I keep it so clean.

At a minimum, you should use D-Lead soap afterwards. (very inexpensive) They also make wipes:

https://dawsonprecision.com/esca-tech-d ... al-towels/
https://dawsonprecision.com/esca-tech-d-lead-hand-soap/

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I wear gloves with clean my brass. I also, wash my hands after shooting, handling ammo and reloading. I rarely see shooters at my range wash their hands after handing ammo or before eating. I keep a small jar of water and soap in my truck for emergencies.

Return to “Reloading Forum”