Moly coated bullets

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OatWillie
Posts in topic: 2

Moly coated bullets

Post by OatWillie »

Did a quick search and did not find much about this bullet coating.

I would like to get you experience guys' opinions on using moly coated bullets. what are the pro's and con's? I've heard that once you start using them, you should not switch back to non-coated (that does not make sense to me). Other myths and facts??

thanks, Ken
-Onward thru the fog... OatWillie

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

welcome to the forum! :grin:

I have some experience with these bullets. My wife and I both shoot Cowboy Action and use a 125gr moly coated bullet in our pistols and rifles. They have worked great and are much cleaner than plain cast lead.

Recently I shot some 230gr moly coated bullets in 45acp and they worked great in my 1911 but caused some problems in my 45acp revolver by gunking up the cylinder just enough to interfere with the loading after about 5-6 cylinders full.

That's my experience with moly coated bullets so far, limited as it is..
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Smokewagon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Smokewagon »

I have used these in .45 colt. The moly seems to hinder the lube sticking in the bullet lube grooves. Also seems to be dirtier, maybe caused by the loose lube. Used the 1000 I ordered and haven't bought any more. :txflag:
Texas friendly, spoken here.

Topic author
OatWillie

Post by OatWillie »

thanks for the info...
-Onward thru the fog... OatWillie

TxD

Post by TxD »

Smokewagon wrote:I have used these in .45 colt. The moly seems to hinder the lube sticking in the bullet lube grooves. Also seems to be dirtier, maybe caused by the loose lube. Used the 1000 I ordered and haven't bought any more. :txflag:
I may not understand your post, but I don't think you should use any additional lube on the molt coated bullets such as "Precision".
I think the moly coating is the lube.
I may be wrong so call Precision and check it out.
Hope this helps.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I found out something interesting about moly coated bullets yesterday while doing some chronographing.

45acp 230gr plated bullet sized .451 on 3.9gr of Clays, avg 735 fps

Same load and pistol but with a moly coated 230gr bullet sized at .452 avg 760fps.

That's a pretty big difference when you're trying to get as close as possible to 718 fps without going under. ;-)

I'm thinking that the powder charge could be dropped a tenth of a grain or two and still get the velocity that I want. I haven't tried it yet though.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jhutto

Post by jhutto »

Same load and pistol but with a moly coated 230gr bullet sized at .452 avg 760fps.

I thought 45ACP used .451 bullets, not .452. Are these in fact interchangable? Are you not building exsessive pressure?

Thanks

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

Most 45acp lead bullets are .452 and FMJ are .451. I've seen plated bullets in both sizes. 1 or 2 thousands does not make that much difference. I shoot both .355 and .357 bullets in my 38 Super.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

HighVelocity wrote:I

Were you using the Precision coated bullets? If so, what OAL did you seat your bullets at? I am thinking 1.260" as the flat of the RNF Precision bullets is approximately .01"
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

mrbug

Post by mrbug »

jrosto wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:I

Were you using the Precision coated bullets? If so, what OAL did you seat your bullets at? I am thinking 1.260" as the flat of the RNF Precision bullets is approximately .01"
I had a problem with my chambering when I sized mine to 1.250. I had to reduce them to 1.230. That is with the Precision 230 rnf's.
How we conduct ourselves defines us. At the end of the day we answer to ourselves. At the end of our days we answer to God.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

mrbug wrote: I had a problem with my chambering when I sized mine to 1.250. I had to reduce them to 1.230. That is with the Precision 230 rnf's.
Thanks mrbug, I did not think I would have to go that short. Looks like some experimenting is in order :grin:
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Return to “Reloading Forum”