Maintenance on reloading press

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
O6nop
Posts in topic: 1

Maintenance on reloading press

Post by O6nop »

I've just started out reloading. I'm using a Lee Challenger press and a 45acp speed die. I'm starting out by doing one step at a time on every piece of brass I've recovered from the range while waiting to get set up for reloading. something like 1000 pcs. I noticed the lubricant on the press rod is getting blacker. I found nothing in the instructions that came with the kit about cleaning or lubing the rod... is it necessary?
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nuparadigm »

The black gunk is spent primer residue. Wipe the black gunk off of the ram with a rag. Make certain to also wipe it from around the bottom hole through which it travels (as well as the bottom part of the ram which sits below that hole). Lubricate the ram lightly with any good kind of weapons oil.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Houston1944
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Houston1944 »

I use the old "3-in-one" oil for my Dillon, Rockchucker and Redding T7. The Dillon manual recommended 3-in-one and also stated not to use gun oils to lube the ram. I believe this is because a lot of the gun oils tend to dry out letting the dry film serve as the lube and the 3-in one remains "wet".

phddan

Post by phddan »

I usually give my press a quick cleaning and lube after a couple thousand rounds. And once a year in the winter, I tear it down and clean and lube.
My Rock Chucker manual says to use gun oil, so thats what I use. Its easy enough to do, since I'm cleaning my guns right next to it.
I've never had my Hoppes oil dry out Houston1944, what kind of oil are you using?

Dan

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

The CLP's (Breakfree and FP-10) work very well for me in all my pistols but they "dry" and leave a film that serves as the lubrication. Dry is not to be taken literally but I don't know a better word to use. I have not read the label lately but Breakfree years ago stated that their product would appear "dry" after a few days but to be assured the teflon film remained on the surface and the pistol was still lubed.

phddan

Post by phddan »

You know, to me it doesn't sound like a bad idea to use a dry film lube. I would think it would help keep the primer dust off. But then again, if it is sticking to the ram, it aint getting on nothing else. :smile:

Dan

Return to “Reloading Forum”