38 Super

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 3

38 Super

Post by flechero »

Just getting ready to start loading 38 Super. :fire I was about to buy Dillon dies (use them for my other pistol calibers) but just wanted to see if there was anything else better suited to this caliber, or if I needed any one off items, like a U die for example?

Brass is in route, a variety of powders and projectiles are already on the bench. I've been told by other 38 Super handloaders that it's an easy caliber to load. (hope that holds for me as well!) Just a set of dies between me and loaded ammo!

Anything I need to watch out for or know out of the ordinary?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 38 Super

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 pm Just getting ready to start loading 38 Super. :fire I was about to buy Dillon dies (use them for my other pistol calibers) but just wanted to see if there was anything else better suited to this caliber, or if I needed any one off items, like a U die for example?

Brass is in route, a variety of powders and projectiles are already on the bench. I've been told by other 38 Super handloaders that it's an easy caliber to load. (hope that holds for me as well!) Just a set of dies between me and loaded ammo!

Anything I need to watch out for or know out of the ordinary?
I load 38 Super on Dillon dies. 38 Super is my favorite caliber in a 1911. I don't know if you have a 9mm barrel also, but if you do, you will probably need separate extractors for each caliber. There's enough difference in the rims to cause problems. However, I've tested Starline 38 Super Comp brass in both of my 38 Super 1911s using 9mm extractors. It works fine. The rim isn't exactly the same as a 9mm, but I've had no problems.

Chas.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 pm I load 38 Super on Dillon dies. 38 Super is my favorite caliber in a 1911. I don't know if you have a 9mm barrel also, but if you do, you will probably need separate extractors for each caliber. There's enough difference in the rims to cause problems. However, I've tested Starline 38 Super Comp brass in both of my 38 Super 1911s using 9mm extractors. It works fine. The rim isn't exactly the same as a 9mm, but I've had no problems.

Chas.
Thanks for the info, Charles. I ordered 38 Super +P brass, semi rimmed, not supercomp. Everything I read (and the starline rep) said semi rimmed for single stack and supercomp for doublestack and/or raceguns. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I don't have 9mm barrel yet, but I will- when funds permit! I'll have it gunsmith fit so I'll have him ensure I have what I need to run 9mm reliably.

:tiphat:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 pm I load 38 Super on Dillon dies. 38 Super is my favorite caliber in a 1911. I don't know if you have a 9mm barrel also, but if you do, you will probably need separate extractors for each caliber. There's enough difference in the rims to cause problems. However, I've tested Starline 38 Super Comp brass in both of my 38 Super 1911s using 9mm extractors. It works fine. The rim isn't exactly the same as a 9mm, but I've had no problems.

Chas.
Thanks for the info, Charles. I ordered 38 Super +P brass, semi rimmed, not supercomp. Everything I read (and the starline rep) said semi rimmed for single stack and supercomp for doublestack and/or raceguns. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I don't have 9mm barrel yet, but I will- when funds permit! I'll have it gunsmith fit so I'll have him ensure I have what I need to run 9mm reliably.

:tiphat:
Double-stack mags. have trouble with the semi-rim on 38 Super brass, so Starline came out with 9mm Super-Comp. Super-Comp feeds and functions fine in single-stack mags as well. If you want reliable function using both 9mm and 38Super, you'll either need an extractor for each caliber, or use Super-Comp brass. Normally, I say just get two extractors, but changing extractors in a 9mm or 38 Super, is not like changing them with a .45ACP.

Chas.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Thanks for the follow up, I figure as long as I'm loading 38 Super, the 9mm will project for another day. I have other guns in 9mm so it's not like I'll need to switch often.

As long as I re-capture my brass (which is pretty easy on my home range) it's under a penny per round difference to load 38S vs 9mm.

I may [at some point] try the supercomp brass and if I like it better, I'll store the semi rimmed for hard times & change over completely and make the extractor adjustment.

Are you shooting idpa with your super? Would you mind sharing your powder and projectile(s) of choice?

Thanks!

Return to “Reloading Forum”