Powder-coating, Attempt #1

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 4

Powder-coating, Attempt #1

Post by AndyC » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Harbor Freight Red paint-powder and plastic BBs swirled in a #5 plastic tub to generate enough static electricity so that the powder would stick to the bare lead:

Halfway through a 20-min bake at 400F in a cheap toaster-oven; the paint is melting nicely:

Fresh out of the oven - looking far better than I'd expected for a first attempt:

Cooling down. Not perfect but pretty darned good; I'm pleased:

Smashed one with a hammer - no chipping or peeling, so it's a success:
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Powder-coating, Attempt #1

Post by jason812 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Any harm with the added diameter due to the coating thickness? I think this is pretty ingenious.

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 pm

The bullets get sized down to the correct diameter after the coating, which doesn't harm it any.

Yeah, it's pretty slick - folks have been doing this for about the past 6 years so I figured I'd give it a shot. One thing to improve is the completeness of the coating, but I have a method from someone else I'll be trying tomorrow - basically warming the bullets a little before dunking them in powder.
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:46 am

Well, I tried another batch yesterday and messed them up.

I tried a different method via Elvis Ammo (Youtube celebrity) where one doesn't use static electricity (generated by the combination of plastic bowl and BBs), but instead pre-heat the bullets to 140F for 4 mins and then swirl them in the plastic bowl + paint (no BBs).

Problem is, my oven is only able to go to "Warm" (too cool) and 250F (too hot) - so I attempted to set the indicator a little between those two settings and I think got the bullets too hot as they stuck to the wire mesh and had horrible wire-marks on them after baking.

I'll get a better oven and try again soon - still, every failure is one step closer to the right method :)
Remember Kitty Genovese

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Having played with powder coating at my previous place of employment but on much larger parts, I think you will have better luck with the static electricity. Also, I think the bb's will have a milling affect to keep clumps down. We had to play with temperatures and time to get the powder to adhere like it should. The metal needs to get to temperature as well as the powder. If I remember we were around 450 to 475 for an hour but this was 2500 lb weldments with 2in thick plate. I don't think you will have to worry about the mass of metal pulling the heat away from the surface but you can also play with raising the temp and decreasing the time. Also, if you over cook them, the color will get darker. I don't know how that will effect the durability as we would sandblast any over cooked parts and recoat them.

There's a lot of variables to getting the recipe right and I am by no means an expert. I enjoy reading your experiments.

Topic author
AndyC

Post by AndyC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Jason - much appreciated :cheers2:
Remember Kitty Genovese

Return to “Reloading Forum”