Powder-coating, Attempt #1

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Powder-coating, Attempt #1

Post by jason812 »

Any harm with the added diameter due to the coating thickness? I think this is pretty ingenious.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Powder-coating, Attempt #1

Post by jason812 »

Having played with powder coating at my previous place of employment but on much larger parts, I think you will have better luck with the static electricity. Also, I think the bb's will have a milling affect to keep clumps down. We had to play with temperatures and time to get the powder to adhere like it should. The metal needs to get to temperature as well as the powder. If I remember we were around 450 to 475 for an hour but this was 2500 lb weldments with 2in thick plate. I don't think you will have to worry about the mass of metal pulling the heat away from the surface but you can also play with raising the temp and decreasing the time. Also, if you over cook them, the color will get darker. I don't know how that will effect the durability as we would sandblast any over cooked parts and recoat them.

There's a lot of variables to getting the recipe right and I am by no means an expert. I enjoy reading your experiments.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Reloading Forum”