How long do primers last

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GFaulkner
Posts in topic: 1

How long do primers last

Post by GFaulkner »

NOTE: Not an offer to sell. This is my first post - and I have a question.

Good morning to the list! First post here - I just found you folks a few days ago.

I am a real estate agent in the Austin area, but grew up in Dallas. My father was a life time NRA member, who shot at the "Distinguished Master" level in 2700 matches in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Shreveport and more - back in the '60's and 70's.

My dad passed away a while back and I got his guns and gun stuff. His target pistols are amazing - who here knows about Clark guns in LA?

Anyway - my dad shot only his reloaded ammo, claiming it was more accurate that anything the Army had, or that you could buy at the store. I have several thousand rounds of Army ball, and a bunch of wadcutter's, too (.45's), but none of his reloaded stuff - so I can't say for sure - but I know how good he was.

BUT - I also have a TON of primers. A couple of different brands, some labeled large, some small. They date from the '60's and early 70's.

Are they any good? The boxes themselves are in perfect shape - so I assume the primers inside are still good - but I don't know.

If they are - great. If not - how to get rid of them?

Thanks!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore

G.A. Heath

Re: How long do primers last

Post by G.A. Heath »

I can't place why I know about clark guns, but I want to say what I heard was good. I want to say it was something to do with very high end gun smithing Primers will remain good virtually forever if stored properly.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

GFaulkner wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:46 am NOTE: Not an offer to sell. This is my first post - and I have a question.

Good morning to the list! First post here - I just found you folks a few days ago.

I am a real estate agent in the Austin area, but grew up in Dallas. My father was a life time NRA member, who shot at the "Distinguished Master" level in 2700 matches in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Shreveport and more - back in the '60's and 70's.

My dad passed away a while back and I got his guns and gun stuff. His target pistols are amazing - who here knows about Clark guns in LA?

Anyway - my dad shot only his reloaded ammo, claiming it was more accurate that anything the Army had, or that you could buy at the store. I have several thousand rounds of Army ball, and a bunch of wadcutter's, too (.45's), but none of his reloaded stuff - so I can't say for sure - but I know how good he was.

BUT - I also have a TON of primers. A couple of different brands, some labeled large, some small. They date from the '60's and early 70's.

Are they any good? The boxes themselves are in perfect shape - so I assume the primers inside are still good - but I don't know.

If they are - great. If not - how to get rid of them?

Thanks!
Modern Primers like you describe will easily out live most folks.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Keep in a cool dry place they will last for forever! Recently discovered some 30.06 ammo I loaded in 1979, 40yrs later the stuff still shoots like it did the day I loaded it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

If stored properly, they will still be ok. I have shot 6.5 Swede Mauser ammo loaded in 1938!

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

if your primers were kept cool and dry as stated above they will be good. I have primers that are at least 10 years old and no problems with them.
Clark Custom Guns is a gun smith shop in Princeton LA. started by Jim Clark. You may have heard of some of the shooters associated with this shop, Terry Cross, Jerry Miculek and his wife and the sister of Jim Clark, Kay Clark Miculek just to name a few. Good people and a great place to have work done.

Return to “Reloading Forum”