For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
proudpirate
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Reloading in an Apartment

Post by proudpirate »

So I'm considering getting into reloading ammo but I live in apartment. Is there anything I need to know before getting started. Particularly in regards to storage of smokeless powder and primers. Are their special storage requirements? Are their state laws regarding this? I live in Austin so their may be local laws too. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

flechero

Re: Reloading in an Apartment

Post by flechero »

Powder and primers are very stable... keep them away from an open heat source and a kid with a hammer and you are pretty safe. There are things under your sink and in your laundry room just as or more hazardous. I keep both on a dedicated shelf.

Probably the hardest thing in an apt is a solid bench/table, because you will want it to be portable and not left out (in case maintenance guy comes in)

Very doable, just use some creativity in how you set up .

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Lee Hand Press
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

My wife and I live in an apartment and started reloading a month ago or so. We just set everything up on an old table that my wife got from Walmart a decade or so ago, it mostly solid. The tumbler i run outside and we keep supplies on a wire storage rack between the kitchen and living room. The RCBS RC II is mounted to a RCBS mounting plate which is screwed to the table. So far we've loaded 30/06, 308, 223, 450BM, 45acp, and 9mm without issue. While not necessarily ideal, the setup works for us until we can get out of here.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

I started out many years ago using a Black and Decker workmate as my reloading bench. I clamped a 2X4 in the workmate and had a 2X6 bolted on to it. The 2X6 was perpendicular to the 2X4 and long enough to attach a Lee single stage press. I set it so the press was on the right side and I could use the left side of the workmate to put components. There were times when I would set up a TV tray if I needed more work space. I used that set up for pistol calibers up to .44 mag and rifle calibers to.338 win mag.

When not in use the workmate folded up and went in a closet and the 2X4 with the press attached went on a closet shelf.

Good luck!

Hack Job

Post by Hack Job »

My son lives in a small studio apartment and needed a way to use his press. I found pics of portable press stands online and made one from 2ea 1" oak stair treads. Can clamp it to anything sturdy and since its portable it goes to the range with us for workups. Lee mounting plates are used so we can swap out presses easily.

Return to “Reloading Forum”