single stage or turret press?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mrbug
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mrbug »

longtooth wrote:Good post mrbug.
I sure like your signature tooo.
Thanks. The signature is something I thought up one day during a moment of deep thought. Other than that my brain is like an etch a sketch....couple of good shakes and voila...clean slate again.
How we conduct ourselves defines us. At the end of the day we answer to ourselves. At the end of our days we answer to God.

O6nop
Posts in topic: 4

Post by O6nop »

Major epiphany.. You can turn your autoindexing Lee Classic Turret into a single stage by removing the center pivot rod!

Simple solution to all my problems! Now I can set it to single stage and size and deprime to my hearts content. Then change it back to auto-index after sizing all that brass, to finish the job. Leave the rod off and it's a manual indexing press (not sure why you would want to do that, but hey, it's an option!).
Then, with my extra turrets, loaded with my other dies, I'm ready to load.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Topic author
RKirby
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RKirby »

stroo wrote:I think the choice really depends on what you are going to reload the most, pistol or rifle. I have both a Lee Turret and a Lee Single Stage. The Turret is much faster for pistol rounds. However I use the Single Stage for rifle becuase it is stronger and I think more stable. Plus for rifle, I generally do batches of 20 or 40 rounds whereas with pistol, I do batches ranging from 100 rounds to 500 rounds.
That makes sense to me. Now, that also does not mean that people who don't agree with this line of thought and do things differently are wrong...different strokes for different folks.

Since, as I stated in my original post, I'll be primarily loading pistol rounds, I think I'm gonna go with the turret press to start with and maybe add a single stage later on if I find a real need for it.

Thanks for all the responses and for sharing your wisdom.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

mrbug
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mrbug »

O6nop wrote:Major epiphany.. You can turn your autoindexing Lee Classic Turret into a single stage by removing the center pivot rod!

Simple solution to all my problems! Now I can set it to single stage and size and deprime to my hearts content. Then change it back to auto-index after sizing all that brass, to finish the job. Leave the rod off and it's a manual indexing press (not sure why you would want to do that, but hey, it's an option!).
Then, with my extra turrets, loaded with my other dies, I'm ready to load.
That is a fine epiphany. Wish I used my noodle for more than a hat rack.
How we conduct ourselves defines us. At the end of the day we answer to ourselves. At the end of our days we answer to God.

Return to “Reloading Forum”