Anyone on the SE side of Houston have H1000?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

Anyone on the SE side of Houston have H1000?

Post by mrvmax »

Been looking for H1000 to load 6.5 PRC but can’t find any. If anyone has an unopened pound they would be willing to trade (somewhere around PSC) let me know. I’ve got Varget and a few other powders I’d trade (or I’ll buy it from you if you order). I could also trade for a couple FFL transfers.

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Anyone on the SE side of Houston have H1000?

Post by K-Texas »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 am Been looking for H1000 to load 6.5 PRC but can’t find any. If anyone has an unopened pound they would be willing to trade (somewhere around PSC) let me know. I’ve got Varget and a few other powders I’d trade (or I’ll buy it from you if you order). I could also trade for a couple FFL transfers.
Don't live there but I grew up just a few blocks from the old Gulfgate Shopping Center/ Mall.

Are you absolutely decided on H1000? While you're waiting to find it, maybe do some comparisons with other powders, and Hodgdon does have alternatives to include some of the newer IMR Enduron Series powders that better reduce copper fouling. If you go here: https://blog.westernpowders.com/ you can download their #7 load guide and I just learned yesterday that the new one is only days away. I don't know what exactly is going on with Hodgdon as they seem to have lost the availability of the extruded powders that are made by ADI, Australian Defense Industries.

There is also new data provided for the 6.5 PRC you can download from the Western website. In case your unfamiliar with them, Ramshot Hunter should be good for lighter bullets, Magnum should cover all the bases and they have a new one called LRT that was made with over-bored Magnums in mind. All of the Ramshot rifle powders are spherical. Accurate has MagPro, also spherical, and Norma MRP is always a good choice. Norma 217 is their slowest powder sold in the US. Alliant has some great and newer powders. Some of their more familiar ones are made in Sweden by Bofors who make the Norma powders. RL22, for example, is the Alliant version of Norma MRP and RL16 seems to be a ringer for Norma URP. The latter 2 would also be limited to lighter bullet weights. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

K-Texas wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:00 pm
mrvmax wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 am Been looking for H1000 to load 6.5 PRC but can’t find any. If anyone has an unopened pound they would be willing to trade (somewhere around PSC) let me know. I’ve got Varget and a few other powders I’d trade (or I’ll buy it from you if you order). I could also trade for a couple FFL transfers.
Don't live there but I grew up just a few blocks from the old Gulfgate Shopping Center/ Mall.

Are you absolutely decided on H1000? While you're waiting to find it, maybe do some comparisons with other powders, and Hodgdon does have alternatives to include some of the newer IMR Enduron Series powders that better reduce copper fouling. If you go here: https://blog.westernpowders.com/ you can download their #7 load guide and I just learned yesterday that the new one is only days away. I don't know what exactly is going on with Hodgdon as they seem to have lost the availability of the extruded powders that are made by ADI, Australian Defense Industries.

There is also new data provided for the 6.5 PRC you can download from the Western website. In case your unfamiliar with them, Ramshot Hunter should be good for lighter bullets, Magnum should cover all the bases and they have a new one called LRT that was made with over-bored Magnums in mind. All of the Ramshot rifle powders are spherical. Accurate has MagPro, also spherical, and Norma MRP is always a good choice. Norma 217 is their slowest powder sold in the US. Alliant has some great and newer powders. Some of their more familiar ones are made in Sweden by Bofors who make the Norma powders. RL22, for example, is the Alliant version of Norma MRP and RL16 seems to be a ringer for Norma URP. The latter 2 would also be limited to lighter bullet weights. ;-)
Thanks for the info, I’m not set on H1000 but when I called Berger they suggested that for the bullets I am using.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

That's always a plus! ;-)

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

I have an open 1 lb container that you're welcome to (I don't think that I've used more than 1/3 of it, but haven't weighed it), but I'm on the SW side of Houston. Have you looked at H4831 SC?

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:46 am I have an open 1 lb container that you're welcome to (I don't think that I've used more than 1/3 of it, but haven't weighed it), but I'm on the SW side of Houston. Have you looked at H4831 SC?
Thanks but I’ve decided to use other powders since H1000 is so scarce. I’ll pick some up next year when it’s in stock again and in the meantime I’m using some powder I already have.

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

I am up by Greenville and have a new unopened 8# keg would trade for pistol powder. Primers also.
Stay Safe

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Kind of an unfortunate situation with new edition handload manuals coming out just before the 6.5 PRC was introduced. I like to check the manuals for what they recommend for each bullet weight as far as "Most Accurate Powder Tested."

Having Berger recommend H1000 is something I'd consider for sure. MaduroBU brought up another that should do well with H4831 SC. I haven't seen Western's new data for the 6.5 PRC because of download issues of late. I also should have mentioned that Accurate MagPro is fairly similar to Ramshot Magnum. MagPro is made in the US while Magnum is made in Belgium like several of Ramshot's powders. Some really good powders come from PB Clermont in Belgium.

Checking the reloading sections at forums dedicated to Benchrest or long range target shooting will help. ;-)

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Lena wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 am I am up by Greenville and have a new unopened 8# keg would trade for pistol powder. Primers also.
That’s a bit of a drive, I will just wait until next month when it starts coming in locally. Thanks for the offer though.

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

keep in mind if you up this way, I loaded it in a 6/284 I no longer have.
Stay Safe

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Lena wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am keep in mind if you up this way, I loaded it in a 6/284 I no longer have.
Thanks

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I picked up a pound in Corpus Christi and that will last me until more gets in stock locally. Thanks everyone

Return to “Reloading Forum”