Reloading issue 223 RCBS dies

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Reloading issue 223 RCBS dies

Post by Beiruty »

SRO1911 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm Your seating die does not match the ogive of the bullet you are seating. To confirm this take a very small, half pea-sized, ball of tinfoil and place it in your seating die. After you seay the first bullet, the foil will conform to the shape of the bullet you are currently using. This will change with different bullet types.
This is for the cause of the ring.
You can polish the inside of the seating stem.
Watch here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NDD8SYxZ41v8ceNu7
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

What type of brass are you using for your reloads? I have found that military brass is thicker that commercial
cases. That may be an issue with the bullet seating.
NRA Endowment Member

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by K-Texas »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm
SRO1911 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm Your seating die does not match the ogive of the bullet you are seating. To confirm this take a very small, half pea-sized, ball of tinfoil and place it in your seating die. After you seay the first bullet, the foil will conform to the shape of the bullet you are currently using. This will change with different bullet types.
Do people actually show up for your "handloading" classes? ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I think, online is the best way to do it. If anyone is on FB and interested I can share my FB group page, just pm me.
Also, After COVID is covid is over, I may offer one-on-one reloading sessions for those who I know personally.
Beiruty,

Topic author
flowrie
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flowrie »

WildBill wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:35 pm What type of brass are you using for your reloads? I have found that military brass is thicker that commercial
cases. That may be an issue with the bullet seating.
Using Hornandy 223 brass, and some other brands.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm
I did polish the seating stem and that helped. Need to polish some more.
I also think the Hornandy bullet has a thin jacket, I don’t see any deformation ring on Sierra bullets. ???
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
flowrie

Post by flowrie »

One other item. Before reloading say 20 rounds, I measure each bullet. Using the longest bullet I seat and then measure the base to ogive then seat all the other bullets at this setting. Trying to achieve a consistent jump to the lands. Seems to help some based on today’s range results.
Pics are with a red dot sight at 50 yds, 68gr Hornandy HPBT match ( 3 distinct holes) and the other is 62gr Sierra SBT ( 3 bullets but looks like two holes).
Attachments
F361D3ED-5D3C-476F-A630-966570B11E0E.jpeg
3DC311C6-6205-45C9-97D8-1BE8064A423C.jpeg
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Amazing that you are shooting those groups with a Red dot.
Beiruty,

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by K-Texas »

flowrie wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm One other item. Before reloading say 20 rounds, I measure each bullet. Using the longest bullet I seat and then measure the base to ogive then seat all the other bullets at this setting. Trying to achieve a consistent jump to the lands. Seems to help some based on today’s range results.
Pics are with a red dot sight at 50 yds, 68gr Hornandy HPBT match ( 3 distinct holes) and the other is 62gr Sierra SBT ( 3 bullets but looks like two holes).
You mentioned using a mic. If it's accurate to 4 decimal places, check the dia. of the Hornady and the Sierra bullets. Sounds like the Sierra's are slightly smaller in dia. Some of your problems seemed tied to the small base sizing die, so whoever recommended you get one, be sure and thank them for the problems you've had. If you've fired factory ammo in your rifle, and had no problems the small base sizing die was a bit of over-kill.
Check with one of your shooting buddies who handloads .223/5.56mm and uses a standard F/L sizing die and borrow it. See if things don't go much easier.
There are some basic rules for handloading auto-rifle cartridges. Cases must be F/L resized, your bullets need a cannelure, and you need to crimp the case-mouth into the cannelure.
With the increased resistance you're getting in seating bullets due to the cases being resized in a small base sizer, you might think that the increased case-neck tension is enough. It will not, however, prevent set-back as effectively as crimping into the cannelure. And there is still some room for adjusting OACL.
Maybe you're more interested in punching paper than using your AR 15 for tactical purposes. It's your rifle and it's up to you how it's used. Lots of talk about bullets tumbling out to 300 yards and a 77 gr. Sierra MatchKing w/cannelure will do that if it leaves the muzzle at 2700 FPS. It is just as important to know how your bullet performs at much shorter ranges like the 50 yards you fired your targets at. It's very easy to test by lining up 5 or 6 - 1 gallon water filled jugs at 50 yards. If the bullet comes apart, then obviously you want one that doesn't, if there is a tactical purpose for using a particular bullet. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Topic author
flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Beiruty wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 am Amazing that you are shooting those groups with a Red dot.
Yes, with a Eotech , but was at 50 yds.
100 yds not so good.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “Reloading Forum”