Interested in Mil-Spec load Data

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
romeofox
Posts in topic: 3

Interested in Mil-Spec load Data

Post by romeofox »

Years ago (before the Black Hills thing) I rescued a lot of 5.56 & .30 Military components that came with the corresponding Mil-Spec load Data (powder and charge). My well worn ('95) Speer 12th Edition shows max loads at about .985 of the Mil-Spec.
I am interested in finding similar data for .45 and see how my 230 hardballs compare to war shots.
Has anyone found a good resource?
Attachments
IMG_0509.jpg

T.O.M.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Interested in Mil-Spec load Data

Post by T.O.M. »

That can be hard to do as i understand the powder is not standard canister as we buy off the shelf the manufacture blends one lot of powder with the last lot to help maintain consistency for civilian use, the military loads are not by weight but by pressure and velocity the powder is not blended i do know the 55gr FMJ 5.56 powder is WCC844 the same as H335, 30-06 is IMR 4895i hope this helps you

DocV

Post by DocV »

Look for TM 43-0001-27
Remember you must develop your own loads from any published data.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

As far as wound ballistics, the military has kept records on such things. I have mentioned Quantitative Ammunition Selection by Charles Schwartz. When you get into the scientific evaluations of such things the various studies are referenced. One organization that might be able to help is the IWBA.

I run a spreadsheet program developed by Charles Schwartz that calculates many different factors including, formerly, AIT, or Average Incapacitation Time. The formula was developed in conjunction with the reported results from the Strasborg Goat Tests, that remain controversial. But Charles has written a new formula where a prediction is made for Expected Incapacitation Time and based on Newton's laws. I should have the new program soon.

As far as the .45 ACP military load itself. As T.O.M. pointed out, commercial ammo-makers do get powders that are blended for a specific use. I would not, however, rule out the possibility that Winchester's Military load is charged with W231. Target velocity would be 850 FPS for a 230 gr. FMJ and that's not terribly difficult to accomplish from a 5" 1911. Winchester has developed the "next generation" powder that came out just a few years back in W244. There are several different powders that do essentially the same thing, so matching the velocity of the 230 gr. FMJ load is not really restricted to any one particular powder. AA No 2 and Ramshot ZIP are also suitable choices. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Topic author
romeofox

Post by romeofox »

Thank you and much appreciated!
I’ll have a look and try to learn something.

Topic author
romeofox

Post by romeofox »

DocV Thanks exactly what I was looking for

Return to “Reloading Forum”