For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Primers???

Post by bagman45 »

So, I know this is a silly question, but anybody have any info on the primer supply chain? I'm generally good, but find myself embarasingly short of small rifle primers - my bad. I know that most ammo production is sold out for the rest of the year, but haven't been able to find any info on the primer supply chain......

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Primers???

Post by flowrie »

Good luck finding any.
I spoke to a friend who is an industrial engineer at a ammunition plant here in the US, they are having supply issues with primers.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

flechero

Post by flechero »

bagman45 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 am I'm generally good, but find myself embarasingly short of small rifle primers - my bad.
I was in the same position 2 weeks ago... then I saw a post from someone needing small pistol primers and offered a trade via PM and met up a few days later. I'd offer a trade or WTB and you might get lucky.

I saw a WTT spp for srp on another forum but it was out of state so shipping killed that one.

Lastly I was talking to my banker friend and mentioned needing primers and he remembered a friend of his who was no longer competeing and was thinking of getting out of reloading- 2 phone calls later, I had some more primers.

The moral to that story is to keep your eyes open and be prepared to find them in odd places but be asking around, because you never know where you'll find them.

Good luck!!

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Flowrie,

Does your engineer source have any more specific data regarding supply chain problems? :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

strogg

Post by strogg »

Just curious, has anyone had any luck finding any pistol or rifle primers lately, magnum or not? I haven't seen a single place with any in stock in the past couple months.

flechero

Post by flechero »

If you are on the "to be notified" emails from suppliers you may score some... but you'll have only a short time to react to the emails. A few people on the 1911 forum reported that they scored primers by the case (5K) that way. SPP & SRP

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Found SPP and LPP in a small shop on the NW Houston side, limit (100) each per person per day.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Went to Cabelas in Ft Worth last week. They had a few primers and one box of 1000 LP magnum primers, which I purchased. No small primers of any type. They Did have some powder, purchased some 4350. Guess I was just lucky.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Best chance is still the bog box stores or maybe your LGS IMO. I've found anywhere from 1-4k each week by hitting up local places. Timing is important though. Have to know when the shelves get stocked at different places or they'll be gone. Best luck as of late in DFW has been Scheels. On Saturday middle of the day they had no small primers but tons of large primers in both pistol and rifle/no magnum. I'm almost to a point of comfort for the next 9 months to supply our competition shooting but it has taken me more than a month to get here. If I can find another 5k I'll probably settle until things get back closer to normal.

I've been watching online also. Have alerts from lost of places. If you can be fast you might get some from one of the places but anything small is selling out in minutes and has a limit on qty. Then add hazmat and shipping and the price isn't that great IMO. If you have none or not enough though maybe the fees aren't a big deal.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

BTW. Alpine Range has been great for powder and pistol bullets on the shelf if you are in DFW. Really contemplated that 8lb jug of titegroup but have other things I need to buy so settled for just some 1lbers instead. No primers though and no Varget when I looked today. varget seems to be a powder most people are looking for and not finding easily.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

sikacz

Post by sikacz »

Grimm reading. If any one finds a place in the Houston area, give a shout out. I'm looking for small pistol primers and large rifle primers.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Funny, I had this conversation with a shop I frequent as I was checking out.

Shop: Soooo...if I offered you a box of primers would you be interested?

Me: Probably, what ha got?

Shop: What do you need?

Me: Small Pistol Primers I guess...

Shop: Hang on

Badda Bing Badda boom, next thing I know I have another 1000 SPP.

So yeah, just keep eyes and ears open.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I picked up 2000 LR primers at academy on the 24th. They we're the first i have seen in a year. :txflag:
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Was able to get another 3k small pistol primers today. So, in 3 months I was able to get 6K at a price that was pre Covid. My buddy got there before I did and got 10K at price lower than mine. :anamatedbanana

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

midsouth had large and small pistol primers on weds, but price was to rich to jump

thankfully i have a good supply built up, but its time to restock as i find them a fair prices
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Reloading Forum”