For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Hodgdon buys powders from Western Powders

Post by ghostrider »

https://hodgdon.com/hodgdon-acquisitions/

"Hodgdon Powder Company is pleased to announce the acquisition of the Ramshot and Accurate smokeless powder brands and the Blackhorn 209 muzzleloader brand from Western Powders. "
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

crazy2medic

Re: Hodgdon buys powders from Western Powders

Post by crazy2medic »

ghostrider wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:00 pm https://hodgdon.com/hodgdon-acquisitions/

"Hodgdon Powder Company is pleased to announce the acquisition of the Ramshot and Accurate smokeless powder brands and the Blackhorn 209 muzzleloader brand from Western Powders. "
I'm looking for the Ramshot Tac powder
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

So, what does mean. Hodgdon has its own line of powder plus IMR, and Winchester. Add 3 more brands.
Isn't that more confusion for the consumer?
Or, do they plan on targeting brands for specific regions of the world?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

this is not a great thing in my eyes. Now just one company having issues can cause major supply problems on every shelf. Seems like with the exception of Vihtavouri and maybe one other it seems like just about all of what I see on the shelves is handled by 1 company going forward. A little scary....
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

flechero

Post by flechero »

grim-bob wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:17 pm this is not a great thing in my eyes. Now just one company having issues can cause major supply problems on every shelf. Seems like with the exception of Vihtavouri and maybe one other it seems like just about all of what I see on the shelves is handled by 1 company going forward. A little scary....
Agreed- not even for supply issues as that can impact multiple companies, but that they will find internal competition and application cross over and similar burn rates that will probably lead to some great powders being thinned out...

strogg

Post by strogg »

flechero wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:06 am
grim-bob wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:17 pm this is not a great thing in my eyes. Now just one company having issues can cause major supply problems on every shelf. Seems like with the exception of Vihtavouri and maybe one other it seems like just about all of what I see on the shelves is handled by 1 company going forward. A little scary....
Agreed- not even for supply issues as that can impact multiple companies, but that they will find internal competition and application cross over and similar burn rates that will probably lead to some great powders being thinned out...
I was thinking the exact same thing until I remembered that Alliant is under the same umbrella as Federal (Vista Outdoor). As long as they're still around, it's not all that bad. I'm guessing Federal, Speer, Blazer, CCI, etc would all use non-canister Alliant powder. Regardless, Alliant should best step up their game in the canister market.

Return to “Reloading Forum”