Scales

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Scales

Post by ET-Ret »

Does anyone here use anything different than the run of the mill scales? I bought some scales from a flea market thinking they would be great but
it turns out they only go down to a .01 of a gram. They had some test weights like coins and call the scruples. It is a name brand but that is to
heavy for small pistols. I have been using Redding for a long time and went from one using oil damping to a Num 3 with a mganet. +/_ .1gr.
ET-ret

powerboatr

Re: Scales

Post by powerboatr »

i use a dillon balance beam scale, calibrate at each use and set it.
some day i may upgrade to an electronic scale

https://www.dillonprecision.com/elimina ... 25215.html
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

flechero

Post by flechero »

I use an RCBS 505 and calibrate close to the charge I'm loading at that time. The key [IMO] is that my check weight set in milligrams so I can get real close to my actual charge weights. This is a way to get more out of a cheaper scale since you are calibrating each time to actual weights... almost no scale stays consistent through out the range so setting up for specifics is my preference.

3 common set ups are:
260mg = 4.0gr (45acp target loads)
1620mg= 25.0gr (for .223)
3700mg= 57.1gr. (for my .270)

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Some crazy benchrest shooters use lab analytic scales, but my feeling is that the point of diminishing returns for powder charge weight consistency probably doesn't require better than +/- 0.1 grains.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

RCBS 500 Balance Beam backed by Frankford Arsenal electronic powder scale. I'm paranoid, so measure every load on both.

Return to “Reloading Forum”