Powder life

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stever1950
Posts in topic: 2

Powder life

Post by stever1950 »

I used to load for my .38/357 and still have the press, primers. and some lead projectiles. But, I also have about 3/4 pound of Unique and 3/4 pound of 2400 that is 20 plus years old. I kept it sealed and in the safe all this time, but is it still any good? I don't know what the shelf life for powder is. I imagine it is only good for pouring on the ground and scaring the grand kids... Are the primers still good ?
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Powder life

Post by olafpfj »

My understanding is that provided it was stored decently it should be fine. I've used 50 year old primers without issue and no one thinks twice about shooting 50+ year old military surplus ammo that's in good condition. Keep in mind 50 years ago is 1971 😯
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Topic author
stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Thanks. I figured the primers were still good, but I wasn't sure about the powder. What you say makes sense. I'll load up a few on the low end and test then work back up. Thanks again.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

Absolutely!

If stored properly, it will out last us and our kids. Stored properly would include: in the house.
olafpfj wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm Keep in mind 50 years ago is 1971 😯
Hey- I resemble that remark!! :lol:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

In the mid 60's I was using some of my dad's paper shot shells from the 30's that had been stored in a basement in NY. They worked just fine. I am presently shooting .22 LR and .22 WMR purchased in the 60's. Much of the .22 LR was submerged in 5 feet of water during Allison. I stupidly threw away (Disposed of properly) several cans of IMR powders, Bullseye and Unique powder, including a 3lb sealed canister of Red Dot around the time of the Allison floods, also. No idea what I was thinking, but I'm sure they were still good.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I think humidity can affect them over time. When I open a can, I toss a silica gel packet in (maybe 2 of them if it's an 8 lb jug). I cannot prove that this makes any difference, but the theory is reasonable and the intervention is cheap.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:16 pm I think humidity can affect them over time. When I open a can, I toss a silica gel packet in (maybe 2 of them if it's an 8 lb jug). I cannot prove that this makes any difference, but the theory is reasonable and the intervention is cheap.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

tarbe

Post by tarbe »

I had a 30+ year old opened can of SR 4759...it was about 1/3 of a pound...so a fair bit of air space. This was the old metal can.

I also had a fresh 8 pounder and decided to do a test of the old vs new powder.

I loaded up identical loads in 45-70, only difference being one batch had new powder and one old.

The loads with the old powder were 131 fps faster (~7%!!).

That old powder was stored indoors and between A/C and heat, it evidently dried out a fair bit.

So, if you do load with really old powder that has been stored in conditioned air, you might want to make sure you start your load development a bit lower than you might otherwise.
Semper Fi!

Return to “Reloading Forum”