Monitor Viewing Problem

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
40FIVER
Posts in topic: 4

Monitor Viewing Problem

Post by 40FIVER »

I've noticed that not all posts have the same amount of characters per line. Some posts will fit 100% on my screen, on other posts I have to move the viewing area hoizontally to read the entire line and post. I'm usnig Avant Browser.

This gets kind of annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

40FIVER

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Monitor Viewing Problem

Post by txinvestigator »

40FIVER wrote:I've noticed that not all posts have the same amount of characters per line. Some posts will fit 100% on my screen, on other posts I have to move the viewing area hoizontally to read the entire line and post. I'm usnig Avant Browser.

40FIVER
Do the ones that need scrolling have pics?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Most of the time, a pic is included in the post. And once this phenemon occurs, it continues in all post that I read until I log off. I think I had the problem start today in a post that didn't have a pic, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

40FIVER

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

This happens when there is either a pic that is too wide, or a URL that is too wide. It's a weakness in most forum software. SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is one that I'm aware of that doesn't have this limit; it will force normal line breaks, and a post containing any long URLs or wide pictures will have a horizontal scroll bar beneath it, to see the full pic.

I try to include URLs where the actual URL can be seen. But, if they won't fit on a single page width, I make a word or phrase in my post into a clickable link.

To do that, here's how you create a link:
[url=http://www.yourURL.here]Your clickable text[/url]

I also resize my pics to no wider than 640 pixels. That way they'll fit onto everyone's monitor.

Kevin

Liberty

Re: Monitor Viewing Problem

Post by Liberty »

40FIVER wrote:I've noticed that not all posts have the same amount of characters per line. Some posts will fit 100% on my screen, on other posts I have to move the viewing area hoizontally to read the entire line and post. I'm usnig Avant Browser.

40FIVER
Some folks don't shrink their photos before posting. Occassionally a very long link won't wrap and therefore cause the scrolling issues. Free software is available to resize photos. One of my favorites is a viewer called Irfanview

Topic author
40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Thanks for the replies. If I understand you guys correctly, there is no fixing the problem on my end. It simply depends on how considerate the person doing the posting is.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

If anyone doesn't have the know-how to resize a photo, I'd be glad to help them out. Just send me a PM, and we'll get 'er done.

Kevin

Topic author
40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Thanks Kevin for the info on how to post a link without the link showing. That's a cool way to do it.

I don't post pictures often enough to always remember how to do it. I'm probably guilty of the very things I was ranting about. :oops:

40FIVER

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Irfanview is a great piece of software. I even use it for my default image viewer for most formats.

Another option, which requires less technical knowledge, is to upload it to http://www.photobucket.com, and they have a resize function as well(allows scalability by 25% increments). This also allows you to resize the image without having to back it up on your hard drive, in case you do not like what the resize does.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”