Videos & video streaming

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Videos & video streaming

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I need some help with a short video tour I want to put on the PSC website. The file is a 1.7GB .mov video that I uploaded to the website last night. It took well over two hours with fiberoptic DLS from U-verse. When I tried to launch it from the website, the Quicktime screen came up, but it took so long to load the video I gave up. I then uploaded it to Youtube but I'd rather not use Youtube if I can run it on our website.

Here are my questions. It appears to me that Quicktime is trying to download the entire video to my laptop before starting the video. If this is correct, this obviously won't work. Am I correct as to how this is working?

I can convert it to a Flash video (.flv) if that will help. Should I do this?

Thanks,
Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Videos & video streaming

Post by Keith B »

A .flv flash video would probably perform much better Charles. They seem to stream and buffer better than a .mov or .mpg file.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Keith B wrote:A .flv flash video would probably perform much better Charles. They seem to stream and buffer better than a .mov or .mpg file.
Thanks, I'll do the conversion when I get home and try that.

Chas.

javieljb

Post by javieljb »

I'm not an expert, but I believe a 1.7 GB file would be too large to try and stream from the website. You may have recorded it in HD? You may want to try and convert it down to a lower quality video. This should make the file size smaller. There are several tools to convert video. I've used VLC in the past. It works well, and it is free.

As a fellow PSC member...I wouldn't mind giving it a try to convert it down. You can PM the link to me if you like and I can try it.

jjb
xd40 sc
LCP
xd40 4"

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

How long is the video clip ?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

It runs a little over 8 minutes. I converted it to an .flv using Flash 8 Professional and it works fine from the club website.

Thanks guys,
Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I assume it is the one on the main page. If so, it worked great on my Uverse. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

javieljb

Post by javieljb »

Video worked well for me also.
Good work on the content. Get ready for a ton of new members. I just sent the link to some folks who were wondering about joining.
xd40 sc
LCP
xd40 4"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

javieljb wrote:I'm not an expert, but I believe a 1.7 GB file would be too large to try and stream from the website. You may have recorded it in HD? You may want to try and convert it down to a lower quality video. This should make the file size smaller. There are several tools to convert video. I've used VLC in the past. It works well, and it is free.

As a fellow PSC member...I wouldn't mind giving it a try to convert it down. You can PM the link to me if you like and I can try it.

jjb
Related thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40173&p=482705&hilit=flv#p482705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For others looking for video conversion solutions free ...

WinFXVideoConverter is another free video converter I found last night..

neighbor with a Canon video recorder had her son's basketball game ... the recorder saved as .mod and Windows Media Player played the .mod files' Audio, but not Video, (she tried getting more codecs, got spyware instead and only audio, no video)

And she said and wanted to send it to other people ... and would each of them need to download some codecs too .... so I converted it to .WMV for her so she sees what the problem is and will teach her today how to use it to convert to .mpeg or whatever she wants ... it's pretty simple to use and can convert multiple files at once from one format to another.

1,496,348 kb .mod originally ... Windows media player with updated codecs does sound, but not video
converted .mod to126 MB .WMV both video and audio worked in Windows media player
converted .mod to .AVI and it acted just like .mod in windows media player, sound but no video
converting .mod to .FLV now
and just playing until I show it to her after the sun comes up and her family wakes up and she can convert to whatever she wants

She won't want everyone she sends it to to have to get new players or codecs ... might show her about video/photo upload sites ...

It's pretty simple to use as it says "convert to (dropdown list of choices like ipod/windows media player/Quicktime/Blackberry ... etc or "convert for website" and then another drop down says flv on website...

Like many "free" programs, when installing, it offers several "do you want shoppingtoolbar" type choices but you can decline them all and it seems to be freeware rather than limited use trialware.

Scanned it on download/prior to and after installation and it's virus and adware/malware/spyware free (unlike the codecs.exe she downloaded from who knows where and tried to install because Windows popup/help told her to get codecs)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”