Iphone 4 to OS5 without host computer?

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Iphone 4 to OS5 without host computer?

Post by troglodyte »

Well my computer is possessed and cannot download OS5 to itunes. I can't even download some of the Windows updates. I've done all the suggestions I can find. It seems that my NETframework and/or Windows Installer is corrupted (or so the error codes allude to). When I try to install one or the other I get a catch-22 that I have to have the other one or I get "not enough memory" which is hard to believe with 3gb open. I guess I can sum it all up with one word...Vista...arrggghhh.

I, hopefully, will be getting 7 installed and hope this clears up the problem but until then I am trying to figure out how to upgrade my phone. I have itunes on my laptop at work but if I sync with it I lose all my stuff on my phone.

Is there any way to work around this?

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Iphone 4 to OS5 without host computer?

Post by AEA »

Nope.......except to visit the Apple Store and let them load it for you. Call and ask first.

The good news is that this is the last time you will need to use iTunes to get a SW update. Once you have 5, you will be able to make future updates using the phone only with WiFi connection.
If you don't have WiFi in your home or office, you will just have to stop in the McDonald's parking lot and connect to theirs (if you are with AT&T).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Thanks, a trip to the ATT store is faster and easiest option right now.

Dagnabitblah

Post by Dagnabitblah »

Make sure if you go to AT&T they back up your data and restore it afterwards. Most of the time they will not and some stores just won't. Apple store is the way to go if you have important stuff that can't be replaced (pics, videos, etc).

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

I was able to upgrade my wife's phone and sync it using a different computer...sort of. I did a clean install of OSX 10.7 and wiped the computer. I had our data backed up prior, but i recreated an acct under her apple id, and logged into iTunes with that same apple id. This let me sync and upgrade just like it was using the account it previously was.

AT&T and Apple store told me they were unable to sync and then update (preserving the data).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Dagnabitblah

Post by Dagnabitblah »

Shame on that Apple store! I can see AT&T not doing it, but Apple in Tulsa and Dallas (Northpark) have done backups and restores on my mom's and mother-in-laws iPhones. MIL got charged $30 for it though (Dallas) but my mom got it free (Tulsa). Go figure. I told my sister-in-law to take hers to Apple but she went to AT&T instead which just did a wipe and reinstall. Goodbye kids pics and videos!

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”