Bailing out from Go Daddy

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Bailing out from Go Daddy

Post by Liberty »

I have a Wordpress blog on GoDaddy, Because of their support of the SOPA thing I want to change host providers. I have used Go Daddy for about 7 years and have no complaints about their service or support. I talked to the good folks at Host Gater and they assured me that they can move everything and that it is a piece of cake.

Has anyone done business with Host Gater. or moved a web site before? I really don't want to risk blowing up the whole blog.
Host Gater is a Texas company so I suppose I would have to pay sales tax. Is there another host that I won't have to pay taxes?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bailing out from Go Daddy

Post by RHenriksen »

I've had good service from HostGator. Their rates are so low that personally I wouldn't sweat the extra 8.25%...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

RHenriksen wrote:I've had good service from HostGator. Their rates are so low that personally I wouldn't sweat the extra 8.25%...
They are more than what I've been used to paying though, and takes a 3 year purchase to get a good price. I suppose you are right but it annoys me to be punished by my government for doing business with a local company.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Liberty wrote:I have a Wordpress blog on GoDaddy, Because of their support of the SOPA thing I want to change host providers.

What is SOPA :tiphat: Thanks in advance.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I moved from Web2010 to Icdsoft several years ago and have been very happy. Their "Universal" plan is $72/yr and the business plan is $120/yr. At first, I was concerned that tech support was by online ticket only, but that's turned out to be great. I've had a number of questions, but very few problems in the 7 or 8 years I've used Icdsoft. Plus, their response is very good; all service tickets remain available so you can review them again anytime; and you don't have to talk to Peggy in New Delhi.

I use one domain as a development site and migrate it to a live site using the control panel. It's easy and the tech support people are happy to help if it's needed.

They backup every night and each of the three data centers (Boston, Hong Kong, Germany) are backed up to each other.

Chas.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

longtooth wrote:
Liberty wrote:I have a Wordpress blog on GoDaddy, Because of their support of the SOPA thing I want to change host providers.
What is SOPA :tiphat: Thanks in advance.
LT
Not to hijack the thread but the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is similar to what Sarbanes-Oxley (SOCS) did after the Enron scandal. There is a problem in online piracy, particularly in movies on the Internet. But SOPA grants such broad powers to non-governmental entities that the unintended consequences of it could lead to businesses shutting down their competition on the internet and the blocking of opposing political adds. The concept of Net Neutrality was awful and could have easily lead to governmental censorship of the internet. SOPA is much worse. It is like using a howitzer to swat flies

I've called my on Congressman's office repeatedly about SOPA. I don't want to see his opposition to it waver.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:tiphat: Thank you. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

SOPA is the Stop Online Piracy Act. It would linking to a a site that copyright material a felony and subject to having the site taken off line without a trial.
For instance if a poster were to link from this site to a European site, that used an image from a newspaper. The Hollywood folks could yank the forum site from user access. Here is a good explaination from a webmasters perspective.
Here is my response .
I want to bail because the company I have been using took a stance which I find unacceptable.
Liberty''s Blog

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I moved from Web2010 to Icdsoft several years ago and have been very happy. Their "Universal" plan is $72/yr and the business plan is $120/yr. At first, I was concerned that tech support was by online ticket only, but that's turned out to be great. I've had a number of questions, but very few problems in the 7 or 8 years I've used Icdsoft. Plus, their response is very good; all service tickets remain available so you can review them again anytime; and you don't have to talk to Peggy in New Delhi.

I use one domain as a development site and migrate it to a live site using the control panel. It's easy and the tech support people are happy to help if it's needed.

They backup every night and each of the three data centers (Boston, Hong Kong, Germany) are backed up to each other.

Chas.
:iagree: I use Icdsoft for couple of websites and they are very solid and very responsive.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I have my websites on Host Gator - I have had nothing but a good to great experience with them and their customer support.
NRA Life Member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

geekwagun wrote:I have my websites on Host Gator - I have had nothing but a good to great experience with them and their customer support.
I just switched from Bluehost (TERRIBLE site performance, but good service) to HostGator (EXCELLENT web performance, and (so far) excellent service).

Note: Your name registrar and website host can be different. Hover.com, Namecheap.com, and Name.com are also offering domain registrar services.

P.S. - There are a LOT of reasons to reject SOPA, and the fact that Godaddy came out in favor of it smells like backroom bargaining. They won't be getting any more of my money, in spite of their retraction (which was pretty pathetic: Instead of reversing their position, they went neutral and simply said they don't support it. Not "they're against it" -- BIG difference).

P.P.S. - Think SOPA isn't bad? Here's a valid scenario: "Somebody" complains to Eric Holder that the Texas CHL Forum is a website telling people how to make homemade weapons. Eric Holder takes down the forum completely. Not allowed to come back to live. Gone forever. "Wait," you ask, "what does that have to do with online piracy?" The answer: NOTHING, but the Attorney General is granted broad discretion at taking down "threatening sites" as well, and the powers are even easier to wield with SOPA. Think this scenario isn't real? Watch Holder's statement on "reasonable regulation", made over 10 years ago - http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kerry-pick ... speech-web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Yes, it's a stretch, but the point is that SOPA _gives_ him these powers.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I would also like to say that when Bob Parsons of GoDaddy went elephant hunting it was name cheap that got anti-hunting.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thanks everyone for the input, I don't have a problem with hunting, nor risque comercials. I like Danika, but I am angry about a vender that would actively work against his entire customer base. I supose I should boycott Apple, but I've never been tempted to by their stuff any way.
It sounds like Host Gater is not only reputable but provides quality service. I just hope that when I pull the switch I can do it smoothly. A Wordpress blog along with an archive of old blogspot has lots of bits and pieces.

One side benefit though, would be that I could move my wiki off my home machine. onto a sub domain or its own at little extra cost.
Liberty''s Blog

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

G.A. Heath wrote:I would also like to say that when Bob Parsons of GoDaddy went elephant hunting it was name cheap that got anti-hunting.
Yup, places took advantage of that. I really like Bob as a person, but he should have guessed the PR backlash it would have caused. Nevermind reality, it's emotions that sell newspapers (there I go again :lol: ).

I'd give kudos to Namecheap for capitalizing on the emotions. I'm guessing they'd take money from anybody, even a pro-hunting website. I'm not giving them my money annyway, but I'd say it was a pure marketing play (you can read the details here about the incident, if you're not familiar http://www.hoover.org/publications/defi ... icle/81076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

+1 for experience with HostGator. They used to provide free basic-business accounts to non-profits and schools that needed a web presence - we snagged one of those accounts for our work with a NASA program. I've also had a site up that I paid for, and was happy with the support that I got on both. 24-hour support from folks who know what's going on, not merely the company newbies or apprentices-in-training.

They get a :thumbs2: from me, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them, again!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”