Rural Broadband

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
casingpoint
Posts in topic: 6

Post by casingpoint »

Thanks to all for your imput. It is rather confusing what to do next. Cingular has posted a no data limit wireless connection fee of $60 for laptops and tethered devices. That is getting down into the satellite range. Can my desktop computer become a tethered device linked wireless to the net, and what KBS speed can I expect?

dpatterson
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dpatterson »

Cingular Wireless connection speeds will depend on your signal strength, ie your proximity to the closest tower.

The fastest that I have seen a Cingular Wireless card do in a rural area is about 136Kbps. Normally it is around 56k to 100k. I have 85 of these cards that I support everyday. I also have 70 Verizon cards that I support and they are much faster, ~175k.

I would just be very sure that you have good coverage in your area before signing up for a 2 year contract.

Also you can purchase a PCMCIA Card PCI Slot for your pc. This would accomidate the Cingular Wireless Card. If you do this you will want to get an extended antenna that you can place near a window for optimum connection.
If Guns kill people, my keyboard mispells words.....

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

casingpoint, where are you located, maybe i can find you an isp.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Thanks, I have a landline ISP at 48K, but am looking for more speed.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

ISP os short for Internet Service Provider. There are a lot more folks providing internet than the cable and phone companies.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

This recent article in the Washington Post by their tech guy hints that wireless cellphone carrier broadband has arrived. Registration required:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00034.html

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

I dont know if I would say it has arrived. The big Cell Companies have been fighting for years to acheive this 3G Cellular Data Network. They have it, but its only in very few cities. Plus dont ever plan on seeing something like this from a Cellular Company in a Rural area. Its not going to happen.

Topic author
casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

I was thinking it would work where my Cingular cell phone does, but apparently it uses some other technology and is so far confined to urban areas. I ain't movin' back in town for the internet. I'm gonna bring that sob to me at high speed somehow. So much for wishful thinking. Back to getting the cable tv people to extend the line or satellite.

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

Cingular uses several different Techniologies on their Data Network. In some rural areas you may have wireless service but not data.

TDMA = Analog - Will not support Data
GSM = Digital Voice Protocol
GPRS = Digital Data - Speeds up to 128k (really about 84k).. Their 2G.
EDGE = Digital Data - Speeds up to 256k (really about 128k) Their 2.5G
UTMS = Digital Data - Speeds up to 384K, never used this one... Their 3G

Sounds like they are skipping over UTMS to do this more WIFI like broadband.

Any local companies offering wireless? We have a guy in town that does this. Works for several miles...

KD5NRH

Re: Rural Broadband

Post by KD5NRH »

casingpoint wrote:I’m looking for wireless or landline technology that would move a broadband cable at it’s last available location about one-third of a mile to my house. Both the local cable TV company and the telephone company offer broadband service to that point but won’t bring it any father.
Talk to your local hams and other geeks. If you've got access to the line where it stops, and AC power there, a $60 wireless router and a pair of good antennas should be able to do 1/3mi with no problem as long as you can get the antennas within line-of-sight of each other.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Here's what you need:

http://www.apple.com/iphone

:grin:

Think Blackberry, Palm Pilot, iPod, and cell phone all rolled into one, running on MacOS X.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

KD5NRH wrote: Talk to your local hams and other geeks. If you've got access to the line where it stops, and AC power there, a $60 wireless router and a pair of good antennas should be able to do 1/3mi with no problem as long as you can get the antennas within line-of-sight of each other.
Ya know... I kinda think the cable company MIGHT have a problem with you attaching a wireless router to THEIR cable and broadcasting wireless internet for everyone in the neighborhood.

Just a thought.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

llwatson wrote:Ya know... I kinda think the cable company MIGHT have a problem with you attaching a wireless router to THEIR cable and broadcasting wireless internet for everyone in the neighborhood.
If that was the case, then every ISP would have a prohibition on connecting a wireless network to their network.

For a stable connection at 1/3mi, the antennas would likely need to be somewhat directional, and anyone who doesn't want their network abused will have at least some security on it. That's hardly "broadcasting it to the whole neighborhood."

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Maybe I don't understand what you are suggesting. Feel free to enlighten me.

As I read this, you are saying that it is OK for someone, who is not a cable subscriber, to tap into the local cable company's line, install a router and help themself to some free internet service.

Are you describing something different?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

llwatson wrote:As I read this, you are saying that it is OK for someone, who is not a cable subscriber, to tap into the local cable company's line, install a router and help themself to some free internet service.[
He would need to pay them for the service, of course, but once he's paid for his connection, they shouldn't have any problem with him extending that service to whereever his computer is located.

Since there is likely some sort of protection on the cable company's internet service, just plugging in the router without subscribing would be unlikely to do any good.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”