Storing movies on hard drive

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Storing movies on hard drive

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've been poking around TomsHardware.com trying to find information on storing movies on a computer hard drive and streaming them to the various computers in our home. I didn't have much time to spend researching, but what I found was focused on the amount of storage you'd need for certain number of movies.

I'd like to put movies (not old VHF tapes) on my Windows Home Server and be able to watch them on any computer. Ideally, we'd be able to have an inventory of the moves on something like iTunes play lists and simply be able to select a movie to watch.

Is anyone doing this and, if so, what software are you using?

Thanks,
Chas.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Storing movies on hard drive

Post by Beiruty »

You need to have a DLNA server software. I think windows 7 can let you share all your media to all DLNA compatible software/hardware on the net. For example, my Samsung TV can access my windows 7 machine stored and shared media.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

if all of the devices you want use as players are Windows computers, you have all you need to store, share and play. Create a share drive on your computer, and have the other computers read the files from the share.

if you want non-PC devices to be able to play the movies, then look at DLNA software.

pewter99ta

Post by pewter99ta »

I've played with a few different options over the last year. Windows Media Center is great for most things. There are also other stand-alone options like Boxee and Roku. Each option has pros and cons so you need to find out what your specific needs are before you look for the best solution for you.

You mentioned iTunes libraries so I'll throw the Apple TV in the mix. If you are looking for something to hook up to a tv and stream movies from your iTunes library the Apple TV works great. Only costs $99, hooks up to your TV via HDMI and it can connect to your home network via wired or wireless connection. It also has Netflix, Youtube and a few other online streaming options built-in and like most other Apple products it's easy to use. It's also about the size of a few drink coasters stacked on top of each other so it doesn't take up much space or look out of place.

I have a home theater PC running windows 7 as well as an Apple TV hooked up to my main TV. Both are able to stream media from the same server I have setup in my office. The HTPC with Windows Media Center is more configurable and has options such as Hulu Plus which aren't available on the Apple TV but the Apple TV can't be beat for streaming movies, tv shows or music from my iTunes library.

I know this is a lot of information but I hope it helps.
NRA Life Member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Charles,

I have done that for years. Using your computer operating system, you can "share" any movie files you have on your server with other computers on your network. If you are using Itunes for your movie library then I agree with the poster that suggested the Apple TV for $99 available in the Houston area from the Apple Store. It doesn't need any computer too access your itunes account, but can access your server if it is running itunes.
If you have a PS3, it also can be used to receive shared files from the server in a room without a computer.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Guys,

I don't think DMCA law allows us to discuss copyright protection removal techniques on a forum. I'm sticking with the legal Itunes and Apple TV or digital media files which come with many dvds these days.

Edit: offending post was removed. Thanks for the correction!
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

GeekDad
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GeekDad »

Windows Media Center - Enable this on your sever and any windows machine, xbox, or other compatible media source allowed by windows will allow you to share across your network.

If you need storage, get an external Raid 5 array, buy 2TB hard drives and fill up that array. if it has 5 slots you will have a total of 8 TB of space with good read and write speeds.
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

GeekDad wrote:Windows Media Center - Enable this on your sever and any windows machine, xbox, or other compatible media source allowed by windows will allow you to share across your network.

If you need storage, get an external Raid 5 array, buy 2TB hard drives and fill up that array. if it has 5 slots you will have a total of 8 TB of space with good read and write speeds.
External RAID with E-SATA-3 running at 5 Gbps would be cool. Running of Ethernet rounters would limit to max of 1 Gbps.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

Beiruty wrote:
GeekDad wrote:Windows Media Center - Enable this on your sever and any windows machine, xbox, or other compatible media source allowed by windows will allow you to share across your network.

External RAID with E-SATA-3 running at 5 Gbps would be cool. Running of Ethernet rounters would limit to max of 1 Gbps.

This is what I suggest. :cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816111168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

I have 2 network attached storage drives, 1 is 3 TB the other is 2 TB, and have all my movies, music, and photos on them. Then I just use iTunes and share them via HomeSharing (built into iTunes). I can access them from any computer in the house, all our Apple mobile devices, and on all our TVs via Apple TV. Using the WD2Go Pro app, I can even access them from my iPhone or iPad when not at home.

Total cost:
NAS drives: $400 (combined)
iTunes: Free
Computers, Apple TVs, iPhones, & iPads: Already owned

GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

Fixed

RottenApple wrote:I have 2 network attached storage drives, 1 is 3 TB the other is 2 TB, and have all my movies, music, and photos on them. Then I just use iTunes and share them via HomeSharing (built into iTunes). I can access them from any computer in the house, all our Apple mobile devices, and on all our TVs via Apple TV. Using the WD2Go Pro app, I can even access them from my iPhone or iPad when not at home.

Total cost:
NAS drives: $400 (combined)
iTunes: Cost you all the processing power of your machine cause its a virus!
Computers, Apple TVs, iPhones, & iPads: Already owned

PS. Android > iPhone

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

terrabyte hardrives are pretty inexpensive these days. I am using subsonic on my server.as a music server. It is supposed to support videos also. The advantage is that it supports remote operations, to a phone or a any internet enabled phone. Subsonic.org handles all the dns forwarding.

I don't know much about Apples but subsonic handles mp3s and almost any music format and converts music on the fly. It is supposed convert videos in the same way. Subsonic is best for those who wish to take their music (and videos) with them wherever they go. it works on Windows Macs and linux systems , and there are apps for android and Iphones as well as roku.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mjoplin

Post by mjoplin »

I've been using one of the LG NAS boxes, has a gig + a dvd/rw for backup. Plug and play into your home network and supports all the major media streaming standards like DLNA. Very easy to set up.

Here's a link to Amazon " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $119 and no sales tax for a short time....
NRA Life Member
I'm environmentally conscious, I only use recycled ammo courtesy of my Dillon 550
This message was created using only recycled electrons

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”