Compatibility Mode for Task in Windows 7

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Compatibility Mode for Task in Windows 7

Post by Dragonfighter »

Hi all,

This is an odd one for me. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion P6-2100, new and reinstalling a lot of previous software. I installed Bible Explorer 4 and set compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3, Disable Visual Themes and Run as Administrator to get it to launch in my current environment. These settings were made in the root folder to the executable and set for all users. It will launch and run fine from a shortcut but prompts for UAC permission every time.

This annoyed me so I created a task for it in task manager. When I launch from within Task Scheduler, no problem and no UAC prompt. So I created a shortcut to the task and it will not reflect the compatibility settings and thus will not launch the program. When I right-click and attempt to set the compatibility, it is greyed out with the following statement, "Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of windows." Any ideas? Launching from task scheduler is moot if a shortcut won't work.

Thanks, I await the flow of genius. :mrgreen:

P.S. TAM, don't say "get a Mac"...I know, I know already.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Compatibility Mode for Task in Windows 7

Post by AEA »

Wonderful things happen when you turn off UAC in Win7.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Dragonfighter wrote:Hi all,

This is an odd one for me. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion P6-2100, new and reinstalling a lot of previous software. I installed Bible Explorer 4 and set compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3, Disable Visual Themes and Run as Administrator to get it to launch in my current environment. These settings were made in the root folder to the executable and set for all users. It will launch and run fine from a shortcut but prompts for UAC permission every time.

<snip>
My Windows 7 is very weak (still using XP Pro 95% of the time), but early on, I discovered this about the shortcut icon on the desktop for one of my apps: If I right clicked on it, I got an option something like "Run as Administrator" and that resolved a problem that was preventing it from working correctly. Don't know if this would help you, but thought I'd mention it on the off chance that it does.

LST
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

AEA wrote:Wonderful things happen when you turn off UAC in Win7.
Any troubles with exploits? I have considered this.
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

No problems what-so-ever.
Actually it was one of the first things I did after upgrading (once I figured out what it was).

Full disclosure......
I am the only one that uses my computer,
UAC MAY be useful for those that have multiple users, but that's not me.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I have a program for work that I hade to installe windows xp virtual. But you have to have Windows 7 Pro or higher for it to work. That resolved all the issues I was haveing

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

AEA wrote:No problems what-so-ever.
Actually it was one of the first things I did after upgrading (once I figured out what it was).

Full disclosure......
I am the only one that uses my computer,
UAC MAY be useful for those that have multiple users, but that's not me.
I'm going to give it a try. The wife is the only other one that uses this machine. Thanks for the input. Simple solutions and all that.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”