Interesting modum/router issue

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Interesting modum/router issue

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We have AT&T Uverse for both TV and Internet. Our computers are connected using Ethernet cables, except for my laptop and a couple of tablets that have wireless connections. The wired connections are working fine. Over the last 3 to 5 days, my laptop's Internet connection slowed to the point it was virtually unusable. I rebooted the laptop several times but it didn't help. I just rebooted the 2Wire router/modem and everything is back up to speed.

I've had to reboot a router at times to clear other problems, but I've never seen this particular problem, i.e. increasingly slower wireless connection with no adverse impact on wired connections. Does anyone have any idea why or how this happened? Is this possibly an indication someone may have hacked into our local network?

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Interesting modum/router issue

Post by Keith B »

Not an uncommon issue with them. They seem to get into a wifi network storm for some reason and need to be rebooted. I personally don't like the 2Wire wireless portion of the gateway, and I put a stand-alone access point on the network and disabled the WAP in the 2Wire gateway. Runs MUCHO better!!

One other note, it is possible someone might have gained access to your WiFi. Make sure you are not using WEP for security and have it set for WPA2 to be more secure. You also might want to change your password and even your WiFi SSID name.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

PBR
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBR »

i had this same issue other day and just happened all the sudden, just guessing but do you have linksys router? give this a try go to your router settings and see if there is a Applications and Gaming tab and look for "QoS" if so disable it speeds will return to normal
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

PBR wrote:i had this same issue other day and just happened all the sudden, just guessing but do you have linksys router? give this a try go to your router settings and see if there is a Applications and Gaming tab and look for "QoS" if so disable it speeds will return to normal
It's a 2Wire router that's required for Uverse. I'm going to talk to Keith about either going back to my Linksys WRT54G or getting a new rounter.

Chas.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
PBR wrote:i had this same issue other day and just happened all the sudden, just guessing but do you have linksys router? give this a try go to your router settings and see if there is a Applications and Gaming tab and look for "QoS" if so disable it speeds will return to normal
It's a 2Wire router that's required for Uverse. I'm going to talk to Keith about either going back to my Linksys WRT54G or getting a new rounter.

Chas.
I had a 2Wire that was nothing but trouble. AT&T finally replaced it with an Arris NVG589 and haven't had any trouble since.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Keith B wrote:Not an uncommon issue with them. They seem to get into a wifi network storm for some reason and need to be rebooted. I personally don't like the 2Wire wireless portion of the gateway, and I put a stand-alone access point on the network and disabled the WAP in the 2Wire gateway. Runs MUCHO better!!

One other note, it is possible someone might have gained access to your WiFi. Make sure you are not using WEP for security and have it set for WPA2 to be more secure. You also might want to change your password and even your WiFi SSID name.
Okay, you have my full attention. The 2Wire has been a pain since day one, especially with our VoIP office phones. The law firm phones are VoIP, so I have a phone in my home office. (Now my only office!!) The 2Wire router gave us fits for months, but it has been okay for several months now.

I talked to Uverse advanced (a/k/a paid) tech support and was told there was no way around the 2Wire. If you're doing it, it obviously can be done. I'll call you sometime and see how you did it. I need to look at the new, much faster routers available now.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jmra wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I had a 2Wire that was nothing but trouble. AT&T finally replaced it with an Arris NVG589 and haven't had any trouble since.
Well, there's another lie AT&T told us! They said only 2Wire would work on their system. I'm tempted to go back to Comcast, but everyone seems to hate them too.

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Keith B wrote:Not an uncommon issue with them. They seem to get into a wifi network storm for some reason and need to be rebooted. I personally don't like the 2Wire wireless portion of the gateway, and I put a stand-alone access point on the network and disabled the WAP in the 2Wire gateway. Runs MUCHO better!!

Okay, you have my full attention. The 2Wire has been a pain since day one, especially with our VoIP office phones. The law firm phones are VoIP, so I have a phone in my home office. (Now my only office!!) The 2Wire router gave us fits for months, but it has been okay for several months now.

I talked to Uverse advanced (a/k/a paid) tech support and was told there was no way around the 2Wire. If you're doing it, it obviously can be done. I'll call you sometime and see how you did it. I need to look at the new, much faster routers available now.

Thanks,
Chas.
Any time sir. I am open all weekend except tomorrow morning. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jmra wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Well, there's another lie AT&T told us! They said only 2Wire would work on their system. I'm tempted to go back to Comcast, but everyone seems to hate them too.

Chas.
I have Uverse TV and Internet. The Internet service is 45mbps. They replaced the 2Wire with something different when I went up to 24mbps. Then when I went to 45mbps they put in what I have now. Don't remember exactly what I had with the 24mbps (think it was a Motorola) but it definitely was not 2Wire. I can remember the tech talking about how much they hate the 2wire units.
I still have the 2wire piece of junk setting in the closet (AT&T) didn't want it back. It was a 3600HGV.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Those old router most likely are obsolete.
We now have n-type (300Mbps) and AC-type(1.3Gbps) And soon we may have 10+Gpbs for the 60Ghz band.
I say got a new router, they are getting way cheaper and more performing than before.

As for OP question, it is just simply the router got overloaded and the firmware is buggy and could not clean it memory space. Thus, when you reset it, it starts fresh.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Beiruty wrote:Those old router most likely are obsolete.
We now have n-type (300Mbps) and AC-type(1.3Gbps) And soon we may have 10+Gpbs for the 60Ghz band.
I say got a new router, they are getting way cheaper and more performing then before.
I was referring to the Internet service, not the wireless connection between the router and devices. That is of course much faster than 45mbps.
ETA: My current router from AT&T is a "n-type".
Last edited by jmra on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

PBR

Post by PBR »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
only thing i hate with comcast is their prices are high but service is awesome, really fast speeds with no slow down ever for me -- i recently bought my own modem on craigslist to save me the 10 bucks a month on renting theirs -- this is when i started having the issues cause bought the sb6151 modem and linksys e1200 n router both for 40 bucks since i disabled the QoS everything has been fine

the QoS is something to do with the voip service - not sure what though
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

And I thought I'd mention, I always turn my SSID broadcast off, as well as use WPA2.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Broadcasting SSISD is not a big deal, enrcyption is.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

I had the same problem, wireless real slow and wired fine with U Verse. AT&T replaced my wireless modem/gateway/router or whatever it is called and the speed improved. I am going back to Comcast when my term is up with AT&T, Comcast was much faster and I think both companies need customer service improvement so it is a wash there.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”