Using VPN gives me a perma ban message on here

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 4

Using VPN gives me a perma ban message on here

Post by Odinvalknir »

As the title states, whenever I have my VPN on and I open this site I get a message stating my IP address has been banned permanently. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anyway around this? I use my VPN quite often and basically every day, even though it kills my gigabit internet speed and knocks it down to 800mbps. Either way, why does the site issue a ban message for using a vpn?

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Using VPN gives me a perma ban message on here

Post by rotor »

No. I use NordVPN and works OK for me. Perhaps it is the country you are signing in from? Never had a problem signing in from home computer or iPhone using NordVPN.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Interesting though when I signed in with my VPN I could not see this post under recent topics but it was there under my posts. I don't know what it means.

Edit
No. This doesn't show on active topics because it is under computer topics. I still see it vpn or not.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Using CyberGhost VPN and works fine. You do have to make sure you are using a server from USA. If you come in through a foreign server you'll get the banned msg.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Express VPN lets me in from servers in Canada and Germany, but not the Netherlands. Tor lets me in about half the time, depends on the IP route I guess. The site or hosting company probably bans some “high risk” IP ranges. I’ve come in while in the UK but been blocked in France. A few years ago I was working in Argentina and had no issues.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Vpns are great, even better is using a used laptop - open wifi-vpn then tunneling through a backdoor connection. Just a suggestion for people with privacy concerns. I dont do this or ever would, just to clarify.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

extremist

Post by extremist »

Okay obviously I haven't tested all foreign VPN servers so I guess I'll rephrase my suggestion. Use a USA server or you MAY get the permanently banned message. :cheers2:
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We have banned IP blocks from countries that have been the origin of spammers. Obviously, they can spoof the IP address and get in, but most don't. Also, the new registration procedure has greatly reduced spammers, although it's a pain for me and people registering.

Chas.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

When I have my nordvpn active it is using America as the country. If I use any other country it Jax with my internet speed even more. So I am using America as my VPN country

strogg

Post by strogg »

The thing with VPNs is that each one only has a small set of IP addresses as exit nodes. And there are only so many VPNs that people use. It could very well be that a spammer or multiple spammers used the same exit node as Odin, leading to a false positive permiban. Just a thought.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Well I guess the only way I'll be able to access the site is through my phone. Even tho I'm using the same VPN, I don't get the banned message on here. But do every time I use my PC.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Some vpns you must pay a fee to use every month. Maybe the one your using on your phone is more like a firewall that allows you to control what goes in and out to the internet. Try this site to see how anonymous you are, go to the right top of screen and click on "check it". You will then know how venerable you are and much more.
https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/en/jondo.html
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

narcissist wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am Some vpns you must pay a fee to use every month. Maybe the one your using on your phone is more like a firewall that allows you to control what goes in and out to the internet. Try this site to see how anonymous you are, go to the right top of screen and click on "check it". You will then know how venerable you are and much more.
No, shows me as being in the Czech republic. I use the same VPN service on my phone as I do on my PC. Same account for both thru NordVPN

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Odinvalknir wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:38 am
narcissist wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am Some vpns you must pay a fee to use every month. Maybe the one your using on your phone is more like a firewall that allows you to control what goes in and out to the internet. Try this site to see how anonymous you are, go to the right top of screen and click on "check it". You will then know how venerable you are and much more.
No, shows me as being in the Czech republic. I use the same VPN service on my phone as I do on my PC. Same account for both thru NordVPN
That’s why you are coming up banned. Those areas were coming in as spammers and I will bet the IP you are being assigned is in the block being banned.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”