VPN recommendation for Chromebook and iPhone

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 3

VPN recommendation for Chromebook and iPhone

Post by texas yankee »

I need a VPN that works on my Chromebook and iPhone. Anything I do on the internet happens on my Chromebook or my iPhone - no traditional PCs - when I'm at home, I have AT&T internet service, and the AT&T router does not allow installing VPN software on the router - I don't want to set up a second router for a VPN - and my Chromebook, as much as I like it, uses extensions, NOT installed software, so some of the VPNs aren't a fit. The Chromebook does support the OpenVPN protocol naively, versus an add-on extension. Something else that's important to me - a VPN that won't interfere with my online banking sites and other web sites that I authenticate to - like TexasCHLForum. I'm leaning towards NordVPN, cause it's based in Panama and it's less expensive than Express VPN - but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks !
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VPN recommendation for Chromebook and iPhone

Post by Iunnrais »

I’ve been using NordVPN for several months now thanks to needing to travel for business overseas. For iPhone and iPad (plus windows PC) it seems to work quite well. Easy to install and simple to use. For generic use, I generally have it connect to the fastest local server. I did find that while overseas, for some sites I needed to select a US based server as the overseas IPs were blocked.

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

I use NordVPN and like it...but understand that you will need to turn it off for some banks and other services...

One of my banks will not allow me on at all without shutting off VPN, while other banks wil not allow me to use certain services because they “cannot determine if you are U.S. based”...

I’ve had a few problems with this site too, and while I haven’t gotten it officially from the mods, I will wager it is because of my VPN...

Nothing is the perfect fix...get VPN and then if you go to a site that blocks you, or partially blocks you, turn off th VPN and see if that fixe it.

The NordVPN app makes it easy to transition back and forth...

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

von Clausewitz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:21 pm I use NordVPN and like it...but understand that you will need to turn it off for some banks and other services...

One of my banks will not allow me on at all without shutting off VPN, while other banks wil not allow me to use certain services because they “cannot determine if you are U.S. based”...

I’ve had a few problems with this site too, and while I haven’t gotten it officially from the mods, I will wager it is because of my VPN...

Nothing is the perfect fix...get VPN and then if you go to a site that blocks you, or partially blocks you, turn off th VPN and see if that fixe it.

The NordVPN app makes it easy to transition back and forth...
I've used ExpressVPN which is a little more expensive, but haven't noticed issues with bank sites. You can choose servers and they have a lot of US and non-US. Unless banks are blocking IP ranges that they "know" to be associated with VPN's they're going to have a hard time maintaining a service level for their customers, or frankly the usefulness of their online banking. This site blocks IP ranges associated with large amounts of SPAM activity, particularly from overseas from my experience. www.computerprivacy.org has quite good reviews of major VPN's with pros and cons. I work in a related field and I can tell you these VPN's are quite secure. If the Feds are cracking them regularly, it is probably through workarounds like inside the firewall "taps" or cooperation of the entities you're doing business with (banks, e-mail hosting, cloud providers, etc.).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I’ve been using Privacy Pro.

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

"If the Feds are cracking them regularly, it is probably through workarounds like inside the firewall "taps" or cooperation of the entities you're doing business with" - at this point, I assume that anything and everything I say or do, and places I go, are being watched or listened to - as in "Enemy of the State" - the old crime bosses had it right, they only communicated on substantive matters by speaking face to face, and only with people they trusted. I want a VPN to keep my ISP and cellular service out of my business - as well as some guy with a WiFi sniffer in a Starbucks when I'm on the road somewhere.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards NordVPN - thanks for the thoughts.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

OpenVPN
It is free, but takes some know how to setup.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

texas yankee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:45 pm "If the Feds are cracking them regularly, it is probably through workarounds like inside the firewall "taps" or cooperation of the entities you're doing business with" - at this point, I assume that anything and everything I say or do, and places I go, are being watched or listened to - as in "Enemy of the State" - the old crime bosses had it right, they only communicated on substantive matters by speaking face to face, and only with people they trusted. I want a VPN to keep my ISP and cellular service out of my business - as well as some guy with a WiFi sniffer in a Starbucks when I'm on the road somewhere.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards NordVPN - thanks for the thoughts.
Understandable, though Verizon or ATT are unlikely to kick your door in and kill your dog or drone strike you :shock:

With Chromebook you’re also at the mercy of your cloud providers for keeping their paws off your data. There are some email providers that don’t keep any keys to the information you have on their servers. Only you have the key. Google and Microsoft on the other hand likely mine your data to sell you stuff or sell your (hopefully anonymized) data. I have a Chromebook too, but Google gave it to me because I am consulting to them for my company ;-) . I assume anything I do on it they’re watching and they have it locked down so I can’t install any unapproved apps, like VPN. Tor browser is also very secure, unless you believe as some do that it was created by the US government originally, US Navy with a back door. Anyway I’ve heard NordVPN and ExpressVPN are very good and OpenVPN if you’re computer tech savvy and like to set up your own stuff. Also think about getting a router for home that supports a vpn directly on the router if you want to lock every connection in you’re home down, though you’re still at the mercy of WiFi encryption protocols.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Another vote for NordVPN.about six months in my initial membership and haven’t had any issues. I have Xfinity/Comcast Internet WiFi router at home and can’t load a VPN on it so I needed multiple users ability under single license. With up to five devices capable of logging in at same time on one license the wife and I are covered when surfing.

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Multiple users is something I like about NordVPN, too - and I think it's 6 concurrent connections.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

NordVPN, better than nothing, but not much better.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nord ... as-hacked/

And remember, you don’t have to connect to a public WIFI for it to get data about your device and enter it in the logs!

I could build profiles on several of my neighbors on their coming and going habitats based on their connected vehicles saying hello to my WiFI network as the drive past my house.

The paranoid should keep WiFi and Bluetooth off when out in public but don’t worry about getting lost, your cellphone company and probably several apps are keeping track of you, storing and mining data for their use or resale to someone else.

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

VPN's do nothing for you other than hide your source address since almost all Internet traffic is now encrypted. Depending on what you're trying to solve, if it's privacy, I would change your DNS settings. There are several options but I have chosen Cloudflare (1.1.1.1). Quad 9 (9.9.9.9) is another option. Cloudflare claims to only retain logs for long enough to troubleshoot problems. Providers gain insight to your browsing habits by logging your DNS queries. By using Cloudflare, or another of your choice, you're depriving them of that data.

They could still gain some knowledge by tracking destination IP's, but I've not heard of anyone do that. The destination IP must be exposed for routing and can't be hidden even in an encrypted connection.

Be aware the next thing coming down the pike is DNS over HTTPS. Google and Firefox are both working on the transition, however, Google by default will use their own servers (8.8.8.8) for DNS queries.

If you insist on needing a VPN solution, I would look at ProtonVPN run by a Swiss company. I've been using their encrypted email solution with good luck fr a couple of years now. YMMV

ETA - As stated above, NordVPN was compromised a few months ago and from my understanding, weren't exactly forthcoming about the situation.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Frankie wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:11 pm NordVPN, better than nothing, but not much better.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nord ... as-hacked/

And remember, you don’t have to connect to a public WIFI for it to get data about your device and enter it in the logs!

I could build profiles on several of my neighbors on their coming and going habitats based on their connected vehicles saying hello to my WiFI network as the drive past my house.

The paranoid should keep WiFi and Bluetooth off when out in public but don’t worry about getting lost, your cellphone company and probably several apps are keeping track of you, storing and mining data for their use or resale to someone else.
i am pretty dumb in this area, how do you know if your neighbors car has their wifi on?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I use Private Internet Access.
NRA Benefactor Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

In 2003 Jeff Duntemann published "Jeff Duntemann's Drive-by WiFi Guide" and used a 'war-driving' with a laptop story as an example of the increasing presence of wifi (even back then). Wonder if Jeff envisioned wifi eventually returning the favor by driving past your house... :mrgreen:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”