Trouble transferring .pst file

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Trouble transferring .pst file

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm having trouble transferring a 7.0 Gb .pst file to a 32Gb USB drive that has 28Gb free. I get an error message that the file is too big for the destination drive. That's obviously wrong, but I have no what to do. (I can't get a good .pst backup to use, so I'm trying to copy the .pst file.)

Chas.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Trouble transferring .pst file

Post by RicoTX »

You might need to format / convert the USB drive to NTFS to handle that file size. I've been out of IT for a while, but I think if it's not NTFS, the file size limit is 4gb.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

RicoTX wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:41 pm You might need to format / convert the USB drive to NTFS to handle that file size. I've been out of IT for a while, but I think if it's not NTFS, the file size limit is 4gb.
This exactly. FAT32 file system the max file size is 3.8 gigabytes. You will have to format the flash drive to NTFS file format. Just be aware some older flash drives won't support NTFS.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks. I'm guessing a simple "format" of the drive is not what I need to do. If I'm correct, how do I properly format it?

Chas.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

If the format is FAT32, the individual file limit size is 4.0 Gb. There is a hack called EFat or something for cameras, but I do believe NTFS is the best solution.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Two options:

Convert it: Use command prompt and this command: convert (drive letter): /FS:NTFS to convert the USB drive.

Or use format option in windows to format the USB drive and select NTFS as the file system. Note you will lose everything on the drive if you format it this way.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 pm Thanks. I'm guessing a simple "format" of the drive is not what I need to do. If I'm correct, how do I properly format it?

Chas.

Chas,

This should get you there. You can also open Disk Management in Control Panel and reformat the drive but select NTFS instead of FAT32. You can also see if the format on the thumb drive is FAT32.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... Ffs%3Antfs.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks guys! With your help, I got it done. I have a laptop that is dying, thanks to being crushed by United Airlines, and I couldn't get a good backup of my Outlook file. I was able to copy the .pst file to the desktop so I could transfer it to my new laptop.

Regards,
Chas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”