"Off Limits" locations for CHL's

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION! Post CHL related questions in the General CHL Discussion subforum. This is a resource subforum for people to check before submitting their CHL Application. Also, RECIPROCITY MAP!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 3

Re: "Off Limits" locations for CHL's

Post by FlynJay »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Off-limits to CHL's even if no 30.06 sign is posted:
School buildings - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School grounds where a school sponsored activity is on-going - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School bus, or other school passenger transportation vehicle. - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
Polling place on election day (including early voting) - TPC §46.03(a)(2)
Court or court office. - TPC §46.03(a)(3)
Race track (licensed for betting) - TPC §46.03(a)(4)
Airport secured area (past metal-detectors in terminal building) TPC §46.03(a)(5)
Within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution, but only if given notice (not a 30.06 notice). - TPC §46.03(a)(6)
51% locations (“bars�) - businesses that derive 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. TPC §46.035(b)(1)
Highschool, collegiate, interscholastic, or professional sporting events. TPC §46.035(b)(2).
Correctional facility - TPC §46.035(b)(3).
Charles,
I believe interscholastic events are not limited to just sporting events; all interscholastic events are off-limits to CHL's.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

TX_shooter wrote:I believe interscholastic events are not limited to just sporting events; all interscholastic events are off-limits to CHL's.
Good catch! The line should probably be reworded similar to: "High school, collegiate, or professional sporting events, or interscholastic events."
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

mrpesas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrpesas »

sweetsingingangel wrote:Question, I'm a teacher and I know that we aren't allowed to carry in the school itself, but would I be able to keep the weapon locked in my car? Just wondering. I don't have my license yet and not sure how I will carry, but if it was in my purse and I forgot it was there for some unknown reason I want to make sure I am not going against the rules/law.
I'm in the same boat, but my school district has taken the extra step and posted 30.06 signs at the entrance of every parking lot, making it illegal to even enter the parking lot while carrying. And they posted signs on every ancillary building/parking lot the district owns. I'm not a very happy camper.

Also, it may not be illegal (unless posted) as far as the CHL laws are concerned, but if caught, you will be fired and the TEA will probably revoke your teaching license. Just something to think about (and get angry about) :???:

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

dover338 wrote: I'm in the same boat, but my school district has taken the extra step and posted 30.06 signs at the entrance of every parking lot, making it illegal to even enter the parking lot while carrying. And they posted signs on every ancillary building/parking lot the district owns. I'm not a very happy camper.
School districts are government entities, so the 30.06 signs don't mean anything. However, I would bet they have been thoughtful enough to ensure that the weapons prohibition has a prominent place in your employee handbook, in which case they'll just fire you.

Not all school districts have an explicit ban on weapons...maybe it's time to start looking for a more weapons-friendly school district.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

rocco7869

Post by rocco7869 »

School districts are government entities, so the 30.06 signs don't mean anything. However, I would bet they have been thoughtful enough to ensure that the weapons prohibition has a prominent place in your employee handbook, in which case they'll just fire you.

Not all school districts have an explicit ban on weapons...maybe it's time to start looking for a more weapons-friendly school district.
So, am I to understand that if the law states that it is legal to carry on a certain premise, and that premise posts a 30.06 sign, that 30.06 sign does not apply? No sarcasm, I am really asking.

Chuck
S&W Sigma .40
Chuck
S&W Sigma .40
Kimber Custom II CDP (Ordered)

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Keith B »

Basically, in Texas, Government entities cannot place a 30.06 sign to prohibit you from carrying. The only restrictions are those specifically mentioned in the statues that are always off limits (school premise, courts, secured areas of police stations, etc.) This does NOT include federal entities; they have their own rules.

Welcome to the forum!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

labrat1001001 wrote:Are DPS buildings off limits for CHL's?

:tiphat:
No. DPS is a government entity.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lunchbox »

is it just me or do no no carry zones need to be abolished
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

Yes, a CHL can carry in a DPS building.
Since DPS is a government entity, they cannot give you effective notice under 30.06 preventing you from carrying in the building.

Gearheart

Post by Gearheart »

How about an apartment at the edge of a university campus, owned by the university, but only used as living space for students?

Off limits or not?

Jim Lockey

Post by Jim Lockey »

I appreciate your information but I have become a little bit uneasy with some of the poeple here. Some really like to push the envelope when carryiing their weapon. I'm a little older than most in here and therefore more conservative. The Wally walk and things like this. I'm not saying they are wrong, but would like to have your comments,

Thank you,

Jimmy

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 11

Post by seamusTX »

Gearheart wrote:How about an apartment at the edge of a university campus, owned by the university, but only used as living space for students?
Gray area, as long as the phrase "physical premises of a school or educational institution" in PC 46.03 is not defined by statute or case law.

Premises is defined as a building or portion of a building in PC 46.035, but does that mean classroom buildings, administration buildings, maintenance sheds, freestanding public bathrooms, or what?

I'll bet the best lunch in town that if you ask the university police (assuming the university has a force), they will say that all campus buildings are off-limits. A judge may disagree.

Also, there is undoubtedly a no-weapons clause in the housing agreement that gives the university the power to evict and expel the resident.
Jim Lockey wrote:I appreciate your information but I have become a little bit uneasy with some of the poeple here. Some really like to push the envelope when carryiing their weapon.... The Wally walk and things like this.
Could you explain your concern in a little more detail?

It's perfectly legal to carry at Wal-Mart, and they are a lot more tolerant of strange characters and odd behavior than other retail establishments.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Return to “CHL Checklist”