"Off Limits" locations for CHL's

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION! Post CHL related questions in the General CHL Discussion subforum. This is a resource subforum for people to check before submitting their CHL Application. Also, RECIPROCITY MAP!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 11

Re: "Off Limits" locations for CHL's

Post by seamusTX »

Public and private colleges and university buildings and sponsored activities are off-limits unless you have permission or are using a weapon in a school-sponsored activity. (Some schools have rifle, pistol, and shotgun teams.)

- Jim

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Does "schools" include colleges and universities
Yes
The Annoyed Man wrote:is there any differentiation for public and/or land grant universities versus private universities?
No

All schools everywhere in Texas are off limits unless you have written permission. But "school" is never defined.

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LarryH »

Penal Code 46.03 refers to "the physical premises of a school or educational institution". It does not differentiate between primary, secondary, college, public, private or land grant institutions.

[I would have quoted the entire paragraph, but couldn't cut and paste from a PDF into the forum.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thanks everybody for that clarification.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mikeloc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mikeloc »

I've been a little dense trying to understand the hospital posting stating that it is unlawful to carry a handgun. Finally I realized they must post under GC411.204 section (c) Page 28 of the 2007-2008 Tx CHL Laws LS-16. So the signs stating it is unlawful to carry are not the old law or old signage. They are required to post these signs, but its okay to carry unless we've been given effective notice under 30.06 as stated on page 41 PC46.035 (i). All we need is a little more double talk from the law books.
:banghead:
Mike

sweetsingingangel

Post by sweetsingingangel »

Question, I'm a teacher and I know that we aren't allowed to carry in the school itself, but would I be able to keep the weapon locked in my car? Just wondering. I don't have my license yet and not sure how I will carry, but if it was in my purse and I forgot it was there for some unknown reason I want to make sure I am not going against the rules/law.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

School parking lots are NOT part of the premises of the school.

You CAN keep your handgun locked in your car on the school parking lot.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

sweetsingingangel wrote:Question, I'm a teacher and I know that we aren't allowed to carry in the school itself, but would I be able to keep the weapon locked in my car? Just wondering. I don't have my license yet and not sure how I will carry, but if it was in my purse and I forgot it was there for some unknown reason I want to make sure I am not going against the rules/law.
Even if you don't have your CHL, Texas has no problem with you having a handgun in your car. The Feds however, still have a problem with it legally - although nobody ever really enforces that 1000 foot school gun free zone thing unless using it as an add on charge.

dustyb

Post by dustyb »

Within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution, but only if given notice (not a 30.06 notice). - TPC §46.03(a)(6)

I have never stepped it off, but I am pretty sure there are businesses and private residences within 1000 feet of the Walls. How are they affected? There are several gas stations and restaurants on 11th Street that have to be within 1000 feet.

Does the "premises" definition apply here? If street, sidewalks, parking lots, etc., are not prohibited, how is this any different from any other day? Since the place of execution is a prison, CHL's are already prohibited from the premises.

I would bet the "place of execution on the day of an execution" phrase was added after the New Black Panther Party marched in the streets with their rifles and shotguns during the Gary Graham execution. Does anyone know if the 1000 feet applies to longarms?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This part of the law is pretty clear. It says "within 1,000 feet" and does not refer to the "premises" definition of 46.035. It says "firearm," so long arms and handguns are prohibited. It also requires "notice." What form must that take? A sign at the site? A notice in the newspaper? I don't know that it has ever been defined or tested.

As a general principle of law, your home is your castle, and a law like this could not be used to prohibit having a weapon in your home. While it technically prohibits CHL holders from carrying within that 1,000-ft. radius, someone going about his business offers no cause to be stopped or searched.

- Jim

dustyb

Post by dustyb »

So what does the 1000 feet apply to? You're not prohibited from concealed carry on private property, streets, sidewalks, parking lots etc., all you are basically prohibited from carrying on is the Prison premises, which is already prohibited. It seems to me like the "1000 feet" rule is unneeded.

My thinking is that it basically applies to longarms, and that they are prohibited on the streets, sidewalks, etc., since they are not covered under CHL.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm saying that this part of the law does not exempt streets and sidewalks per PC 46.035. I think it is intended to ban displays of arms withing 1,000 feet of the place of execution.

- Jim

dustyb

Post by dustyb »

seamusTX wrote:I'm saying that this part of the law does not exempt streets and sidewalks per PC 46.035. I think it is intended to ban displays of arms withing 1,000 feet of the place of execution.

- Jim
Sorry Jim,

I misread your last post.

I was thinking the same thing about the display of arms.

Familyman1993

Post by Familyman1993 »

May want to STICKY a copy of this over in the General CHL section too. I tend to see a lot of "Where can I carry" questions in that section as well. Just a suggestion.
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, 1785 - Letter to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr
Ruger P97 -.45, Ruger P95 - 9mm, Remington 870 - 12GA
TX CHL, NRA, TSRA

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

LarryH wrote:[I would have quoted the entire paragraph, but couldn't cut and paste from a PDF into the forum.
Look in the Penal Code here, it's a lot easier to read than the poor quality scanned .PDF on the DPS web site.

Return to “CHL Checklist”