TSA. & CHL

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TSA. & CHL

Post by ScottDLS »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:46 pm Not TSA, but an airline ticket agent in Atlanta about 5 or 6 years ago. Went to the kiosk to get my boarding pass and check a bag. Agent called my name and asked to see ID to check the bag. I produced my retired military ID which I have never had refused by TSA or anyone else when requesting ID. Ticket agent looks at it and states that this is not a valid ID and he can't accept it. I ask why it is not acceptable and he states that where it says expiration date, it says indefinite which makes in unacceptable. So, it was easier to get to my LTC than my DL so I pull that out. He looks at it, reaches below the counter and apparently presses a duress button. A moment later an Atlanta police officer walks up and the agent points at me and announces "he has a gun." The police officer grabs both of my arms and pulls them behind my back and repeating multiple times "where's the gun." I keep assuring him I don't have a gun and am not even checking one. Couple more police officers arrive, TSA arrives, airline ticket supervisor arrives. After a pat down by police, they now ask what is going on. The agent shows them my LTC (it was a CHL then) and tells them that I gave him that when asked for ID. I clarified that I had given him my retired military ID and he would not accept it so my LTC was the easiest photo ID to get out. PD, TSA, and supervisor all look at military ID and shake their heads. Police officer apologizes, TSA walks away, supervisor check bag. Went on to security and show boarding pass and mil ID to TSA and walk through, no problem.
My Active Duty Navy Military ID c.1988 had INDEFINITE for the expiration because I had a "regular" (permanent) commission and technically served until I resigned or was shown the door. For anyone who had an enlistment term or a "reserve" commission as an officer the expiration date was filled in. Now I have a US Army DoD Contractor ID and its expiration date is the last day of our contract with the Army. It also works as ID for TSA.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”