Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

Post by 77346 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I know that is crazy talk, but this is one of the unintended consequences of the way that her bill is worded.
I'm sure that's an unintended consequence... SJL does not have the brains to come up with something like that on her own :smilelol5:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Its just more "think of the children" nonsense designed to prey upon the weak-minded and well-meaning-but-misguided types. Thoroughly turns my stomach.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

I know that is crazy talk...
Nothing is out of the relm of possibility where SJL is concerned. If there was ever an argument for congressional terms limits, she's it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

TexasCajun wrote:
I know that is crazy talk...
Nothing is out of the relm of possibility where SJL is concerned. If there was ever an argument for psychiatric testing prior to being deemed fit to serve in congress, she's it.
Fixed it for ya
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

77346 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I know that is crazy talk, but this is one of the unintended consequences of the way that her bill is worded.
I'm sure that's an unintended consequence... SJL does not have the brains to come up with something like that on her own :smilelol5:
I agree. On the surface, the bill makes no distinction between children abiding in a household and children visiting/ breaking-in, etc. But according to the wording, if you kept those same weapons unloaded it would be OK; just lock up the ammunition! :lol:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

BHill

Post by BHill »

SJL should only be allowed to file things after they bring the flag back from MARS.
NRA Life Member

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Queen Sheila is the kind of person who gives idiots a bad image.
Byron Dickens

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Prohibits keeping a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises knowing or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child: (1) is capable of gaining access to it, and (2) will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury.
Am I the only one who reads that red part as meaning that "theoretically, if there were a child in my house (even though there isn't), he could access the loaded handgun and shotgun I keep by the bed (if he snuck into my house), and therefore I am in violation of the law? IF there were a child in my house, those two guns would be unsecured and accessible to him.....assuming I did not put them away for his benefit. And so since it is theoretically possible that my guns are accessible to a child (even though there is no child in my house), and since her bill does not state that the child must be in the house for this to apply, then I am theoretically in violation.

I know that is crazy talk, but this is one of the unintended consequences of the way that her bill is worded.
I saw that, but I don't "know" of any child that has entered my house that is going to use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury. Since it is an "and" situation I don't have any problems.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions.

Increases penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence.

Prohibits any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from transferring a firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer) unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device. Authorizes the Attorney General to suspend or revoke any firearms license, or to subject the licensee to a civil penalty of up to $10,000, if the licensee has knowingly violated this prohibition.

Prohibits keeping a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises knowing or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child: (1) is capable of gaining access to it, and (2) will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury.

Requires the parent or legal guardian of a child to ensure that a child attending a gun show is accompanied by an adult.

Authorizes the Attorney General to provide grants to enable local law enforcement agencies to develop and sponsor gun safety classes for parents and children.

Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to apologize up front here. I know she's mostly a nut job, but I'm not really seeing anything that horrible in here except the age stuff. Isn't some or most of it already illegal? I'm all eyes, please point out the really bad parts.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

This is the part that concerns me:
Could it be interpreted to mean that anyone with children can't have weapons in the house? Because in all honesty, if my kids were just a few years older, and they wanted to open a safe and load a gun, they could. I intend to teach them how.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

http://newsfixnow.com/2013/01/25/shelia ... -congress/

SJL named the worst Congressional bos. That ought to tell you something....
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Birdie wrote:This is the part that concerns me:
Could it be interpreted to mean that anyone with children can't have weapons in the house? Because in all honesty, if my kids were just a few years older, and they wanted to open a safe and load a gun, they could. I intend to teach them how.
For the record, I oppose this bill, that being said. Here is the actual text of the relevant section:

`(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), any person who--
  • (A) keeps a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, any one of which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, within any premises that is under the custody or control of that person;

(B) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child is capable of gaining access to the firearm; and

(C)
    • (i) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of this title) to the child or any other person; or

(ii) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that possession of the firearm by the child is unlawful under Federal or State law,
if the child uses the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury to the child or any other person, shall be imprisoned not more than 3 years, fined under this title, or both.

(3) Paragraph (2) shall not apply if--
  • (A) at the time the child obtained access, the firearm was secured with a secure gun storage or safety device;

(B) the person is a peace officer, a member of the Armed Forces, or a member of the National Guard, and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the official duties of the person in that capacity;

(C) the child uses the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of 1 or more other persons; or

(D) the person has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises on which the firearm is kept.

The law only requires that there is no reasonable expectation that a child will gain access to the firearm.
Last edited by warhorse10_9 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

CainA

Post by CainA »

Is it just me or do others just cringe when they see her name?

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

C-dub wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to have to apologize up front here. I know she's mostly a nut job, but I'm not really seeing anything that horrible in here except the age stuff. Isn't some or most of it already illegal? I'm all eyes, please point out the really bad parts.
Aside from the fact that, as you said, the age stuff is bad, the bill is horribly written, using terms that are defined nowhere in the present code without bothering to even include the definitions. Examples of undefined terms are "semi-automatic assault weapon" and "large capacity ammunition feeding device."

The firearms education could be used to preach the fact that "guns are evil, go tell an adult if you see one. Don't touch they will make you want to kill"
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

warhorse10_9 wrote:
C-dub wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to have to apologize up front here. I know she's mostly a nut job, but I'm not really seeing anything that horrible in here except the age stuff. Isn't some or most of it already illegal? I'm all eyes, please point out the really bad parts.
Aside from the fact that, as you said, the age stuff is bad, the bill is horribly written, using terms that are defined nowhere in the present code without bothering to even include the definitions. Examples of undefined terms are "semi-automatic assault weapon" and "large capacity ammunition feeding device."

The firearms education could be used to preach the fact that "guns are evil, go tell an adult if you see one. Don't touch they will make you want to kill"
Okay. I only saw the parts that have been posted here and not the whole thing.

Return to “Federal”