Piece from Wash Post on prospects of new Fed gun legislation

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oldtexan

Piece from Wash Post on prospects of new Fed gun legislation

Post by oldtexan »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... s-unclear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Piece from Wash Post on prospects of new Fed gun legisla

Post by fickman »

Harry Reid is holding the line so far. My apologies to the NRA for doubting your strategy of supporting him. Nicely played. I hope he has the resolve to stay the course.
Native Texian

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

fickman wrote:Harry Reid is holding the line so far. My apologies to the NRA for doubting your strategy of supporting him. Nicely played. I hope he has the resolve to stay the course.
Here's my objection to that:
“Let’s be realistic,” Reid told PBS’ “Nevada Week in Review.” “In the Senate, we’re going to do what we think can get through the House, and I’m not going to go through a bunch of these gyrations just to say we’ve done something. If we’re really legislators, the purpose of it is to pass legislation.”
Last I recall, the House has no problem bringing up and voting on budgetary issues. Where is Reid when it comes to the Senate passing a budget? He won't even let them vote one up or down. He's a lying sack of spoiled kimchee.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

fickman

Post by fickman »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
fickman wrote:Harry Reid is holding the line so far. My apologies to the NRA for doubting your strategy of supporting him. Nicely played. I hope he has the resolve to stay the course.
Here's my objection to that:
“Let’s be realistic,” Reid told PBS’ “Nevada Week in Review.” “In the Senate, we’re going to do what we think can get through the House, and I’m not going to go through a bunch of these gyrations just to say we’ve done something. If we’re really legislators, the purpose of it is to pass legislation.”
Last I recall, the House has no problem bringing up and voting on budgetary issues. Where is Reid when it comes to the Senate passing a budget? He won't even let them vote one up or down. He's a lying sack of spoiled kimchee.
Oh, I agree. He's detestable. This demonstrates how truly "single issue" the NRA is. Reid looks like he'll tow the line and save public face in his own party by blaming the House.
Native Texian

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Although the NRA endorsed Reid in prior elections because of his unwavering support of the Second Amendment, we did not endorse him in his last election (2010) because of his vote to confirm Elana Kagan as a Supreme Court Justice. Nevertheless, Sen. Reid is still preventing anti-gun legislation from coming to the floor of the Senate.

Chas.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

fickman wrote: Reid looks like he'll tow the line and save public face in his own party by blaming the House.
Give credit where credit is due!

They don't have the votes, they know it, and while some Senators might go along if they absolutely had to, they will be very grateful not to have to cast a vote on gun control, especially after the NRA signed up something like a quarter million new members since Thanksgiving.

Remember, "controversial" means it will cost you votes. "Courageous" means it will cost you the election.

I doubt that any of us have been under the constant pressure on so many issues, in the confusion between right and wrong on the one hand, and political expediency, survival, future support, etc on the other, that every one of these characters is, except perhaps the ones in safe seats. Nobody can beat DiFi for another 6 years, Boxer, either, probably Schumer too. Congressmen are on a short leash.

Just make sure their feet stay close to the fire.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: He's a lying sack of spoiled kimchee.
Hey... I like kimchee. Please don't disparage it by comparing it to Mr. Reid. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Although the NRA endorsed Reid in prior elections because of his unwavering support of the Second Amendment, we did not endorse him in his last election (2010) because of his vote to confirm Elana Kagan as a Supreme Court Justice. Nevertheless, Sen. Reid is still preventing anti-gun legislation from coming to the floor of the Senate.

Chas.

Reid will roll over when asked to. Party first.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Topbuilder wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Reid will roll over when asked to. Party first.
If he put his Party over the NRA, then he would have done so years ago.

Chas.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I was remembering this thread from two years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=38245

Back then, I never actually read the article the OP linked to. Because the rest of the thread was about Reid, I wrongly assumed he was the "liberal incumbent" referred to in the heading.

I stand corrected. I now assume, however, that the NRA did not overtly try to unseat Reid during that campaign. . . which could still be paying dividends. He knows that outside of Las Vegas, his state is very pro-2A. . . and his margins of victory seem to have been shrinking.

I'd only fear Reid crossing us if he was retiring and got some grand idea of legacy that made him do something unpredictable.
Native Texian

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

I'll admit it, I'm a Reid hater!!! I really am and I despise just about everything he is. With that said, I will also give credit where credit is due. He has been a supporter of the NRA agenda for a long time. For that, I pat him on the back and even sent him a letter, from the "dark side" to thank him for his 2A support.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Return to “Federal”