Obama Support among Military Plummets to 15 Percent

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Obama Support among Military Plummets to 15 Percent

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Moderators, I'm not entirely sure where this would belong, so feel free to move if necessary, but I'm posting it because it represents a shift in voting patterns and party identity in a significant population that may well affect 2nd Amendment driven issues...... or not.....

Maybe for most of you, this isn't a surprise. For me, it is a surprise that he ever enjoyed any support in the military, but that's just me....

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/39 ... -john-fund
For the last nine years, the Military Times newspaper has surveyed an average of 2,300 active-duty service members. Their latest poll has just been released and concludes that “Obama’s popularity — never high to begin with — has crumbled, falling from 35 percent in 2009 to just 15 percent this year, while his disapproval ratings have increased to 55 percent from 40 percent over that time.”

Much of the opposition to Obama has come from military members who believe he has been an inconsistent and flawed leader in foreign policy — for example, his 2011 removal of all troops in Iraq helped lead to the rise of the Islamic State, which then required a new U.S. intervention in the region. But some of the resistance comes from those who see his moves to change the military’s culture as “heavy-handed social engineering that erode deep-seated traditions and potentially undermine good order and discipline.”
The thing I found both surprising AND encouraging is that the percentages of self-identified republicans have fallen too, while the percentages of self-identified as either "libertarian" (small L) or "independent" have risen. This leads me to believe that the military's suspicion of politicians has increased, even against conservative as well as liberal politicians. Perhaps they do not feel like politicians of any stripe have used them purposefully and for honorable military reasons.

The thing is, the traditions, methods, and culture of the military aside, our military tends to be a snapshot of We, The People. Today's young people of military age seem to be far more willing to question established values/virtues than even young people just a few years ago. Perhaps they are bringing some of this independence of thought into the military, as much as they are being influenced in that direction by their military experience.

I myself am part of the trend of disillusionment with party politics, including the republican party of which I was most recently a member. I'll bet I've typed these words, or words similar to them more than 100 times in the past year, describing myself as a libertarian-leaning conservative and an independent. At times, I've used the shorthand description of "liberative conservatarian".

I think (and hope) that we are at the cusp of a tectonic shift in national party dynamics which will have generationally profound implications. Although it must be discouraging at times to be committed to military service during a time of poor leadership and social transition, I think we will be producing a wiser class of civilian leader when these folks muster out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obama Support among Military Plummets to 15 Percent

Post by jmra »

Perhaps this is why the Dems are working so hard to reduce the size of our military. Unpopular with a voting segment of the population? Reduce/eliminate it. Popular with a voting segment of the population? Increase it by millions.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Obama Support among Military Plummets to 15 Percent

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmra wrote:Perhaps this is why the Dems are working so hard to reduce the size of our military. Unpopular with a voting segment of the population? Reduce/eliminate it. Popular with a voting segment of the population? Increase it by millions.
Sure, but the thing is, if my belief that the military is in many ways a snapshot of the nation is correct, then democrats:
  • a) would not be surprised that democrat numbers in the military are low given recent elections results in particular,
    b) democrats are probably unsurprised that, as organizations with a somewhat conservative ethos, military personnel have traditionally been somewhat biased towards conservatism, and
    c) they happy that republicans have gone down in number too.
That last item could be seen by democrats as accomplishing something they were not able to do themselves. I almost pray that they are so giddy over it that they don't notice that their own numbers in the military took an even bigger hit. But there is something else here too. I suspect - and this is just my gut, I have no hard data on which to base it - that the decrease in the number of military republicans accounts for the increase in libertarians and independents, while the even larger decrease in democrats is due to both separation attrition and far fewer liberal enlistments in the first place.

Another interesting thing that bears looking at is that now that gays can openly serve, have their numbers in the military gone up? If so, then what part to they play in an increasingly independent/libertarian military? There's a lot of interesting stuff going on here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Federal”