BATFE To Ban Common AR-15 Ammo

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Re: BATFE To Ban Common AR-15 Ammo

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gmckinl »

What wasn't mentioned in today's news about M855 was the .30-06 M2 black tip. It also was specifically exempted. Did the ATF cretins cave on M855 while still striking the exemption for M2? I don't trust these folks at all.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

LDB415
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LDB415 »

So I wonder how many months (or years) it will take for supply and prices to recover from the few weeks of foolishness.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

LDB415 wrote:So I wonder how many months (or years) it will take for supply and prices to recover from the few weeks of foolishness.
:iagree: Also once again we seen "some" distributors with explosive prices for no reason.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

I never needed this bullet, nor I can find a range that would allow you to shoot it.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Post by C-dub »

LDB415 wrote:So I wonder how many months (or years) it will take for supply and prices to recover from the few weeks of foolishness.
I think this round, pun intended, will be short lived. It all happened so quickly as compared to the long drawn out battle that ensued over the threatened action against an entire category of firearms.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:I never needed this bullet, nor I can find a range that would allow you to shoot it.
Elm Fork allows it on the 50 yard range, and in the tactical bay.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LSUTiger »

If the shoe fits...........

What really burns my bottom is the gun owners who use the FUDD mentality, I don't use this type of ammo (doesn't affect me) so who cares. But the "who cares" approach is a very shortsighted and wrong approach to the subject and shows a lack of understanding of what is at stake for all gun owners and the 2A.

It's an end run approach to gun control. They are trying to cripple the 2nd amendment by bureaucratic legislation for political and power grab purposes.

I believe the 2nd amendment applies to all the necessary components to make your gun work. The 2nd Amendment is meaningless if you can't get the accessories you need, like magazines and affordable ammo.

Caution, run on sentence ahead.

In addition to affecting ammo supply/demand and causing prices to increase, thus making it harder/costlier for gun owners to acquire different ammo sources, making it harder for new gun owners to acquire the AR15 platform, it would also affect manufacturers who sell to the military because they could not offload overruns to civilian markets, thus further reducing supply or repurposing/shutting down manufacturing capability that would be extremely difficult to replace once its gone.

More dangerous is the precedence they are trying to set by banning ammo. All rifle ammo can penetrate common body armor worn by police. Next thing you know, they get away with this, they ban other or all rifle ammo.

They banned the cheap surplus Russian 5.45x39 7n6 ammo for the AK-74. I didn't affect me but look at how they are trying to ban the M855. This kind of attacks affects us all and shows there efforts are relentless. One thing sets precedence for further action, and so on and so on......

What doesn't affect you today, eventually will. Give it time. They are trying to work every angle and set precedence to weaken the 2A every way they can.

Our unified response as gun owners, supporters of the 2A should be a unified "no you will infringe no more" not " it doesn't affect me so who cares".
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Beiruty wrote:I never needed this bullet, nor I can find a range that would allow you to shoot it.
Well, yeah, but it comes in a cool green ammo can at cabella's. Plus, the government's trying to ban it, so you know it's the good stuff.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

LSUTiger wrote:If the shoe fits...........

What really burns my bottom is the gun owners who use the FUDD mentality, I don't use this type of ammo (doesn't affect me) so who cares. But the "who cares" approach is a very shortsighted and wrong approach to the subject and shows a lack of understanding of what is at stake for all gun owners and the...
First they came for the .223...

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here is the official BATF notice: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2015- ... ework.html
Translation: we'll wait until the brouhaha dies down and has been forgotten before we make the prohibition official.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Dave2 wrote:
Well, yeah, but it comes in a cool green ammo can at cabella's. Plus, the government's trying to ban it, so you know it's the good stuff.
People in some areas of the state can use it at ranges. Lots of people with land shoot the stuff, as well. It was formerly decently priced and fire's okay in most ARs and other 5.56/.223 rifles and carbines. Its just like the thing with the steel case ammo. Lots of people use it; no one is saying YOU have to use it. Its just nice to have options.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

It doesn't look like they are anywhere near done yet. The BATFE Director Todd Jones testified in a Senate Appropriations Committee that
"all types of the 5.56 military-style ammo used by shooters pose a threat to police as more people buy the AR-15-style pistols. Any 5.56 round" is "a challenge for officer safety"
So, here they are setting up the framework to try to get rid of all 5.56 ammo. Then comes any other centerfire rifle round, as we knew it would.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03 ... latestnews

Additionally, since the BATFE pulled the proposal, pending review of the framework, now Democrats are pushing for a legislative ban:
"Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) is pushing the Armor Piercing Bullets Act following the Obama administration’s decision earlier this week to withdraw a controversial proposal that would restrict 5.56 mm projectiles for M855 cartridges commonly used in AR-15 rifles. Armor-piercing rounds like green tips should only be in the hands of military personnel or police officers, period,” Engel said. “There is absolutely no compelling argument to be made for anyone else to have access to them.”
http://thehill.com/regulation/legislati ... egislation

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MeMelYup »

There should be no law about the use of any ammunition. The only law on ammunition should be for the use of a type that is used in the commission of a crime.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

MeMelYup wrote:There should be no law about the use of any ammunition. The only law on ammunition should be for the use of a type that is used in the commission of a crime.
^^^ This. The law should completely ignore honest citizens and mandate capital punishment for the firing of any firearm during the commission of a felony. Covers every "evil" caliber all at once and only a problem for those misusing. I hate leftists. Why can't the aliens beam them all up at once.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Federal”