What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I don't think there's a dedicated thread for this, so here I am starting one.

Currently, there are 61 cosponsors for the The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act—H.R. 367. Please check to see if your representative is a sponsor and if not, contact them! I've also emailed our Senators asking for their support when the bill makes it to the Senate or if an identical bill is introduced in the Senate.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... 7%22%5D%7D

American Rifleman article - https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... t-of-2017/
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by dhoobler »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I don't think there's a dedicated thread for this, so here I am starting one.

Currently, there are 61 cosponsors for the The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act—H.R. 367. Please check to see if your representative is a sponsor and if not, contact them! I've also emailed our Senators asking for their support when the bill makes it to the Senate or if an identical bill is introduced in the Senate.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... 7%22%5D%7D

American Rifleman article - https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... t-of-2017/
My congress critter is a cosponsor. I thanked him.

There are only ten cosponsors from Texas. One of them is a democrat (Gene Green). There is room for improvement.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

I have contacted my representative Conaway (district 11), urging him to support this bill.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

Dear Mr. TreyHouston:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. I appreciate the benefit of having your views on this matter.
As you may know, H.R. 3799 was introduced by Representative Matt Salmon (R-AZ) on October 22, 2015. If enacted into law, this bill would remove the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers. This bill would also treat any person who acquires or possesses a firearm silencer as meeting any registration or licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act.

This legislation has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee. While I do not serve on this committee, rest assured that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and I will be sure to share those views with my colleagues. Should H.R. 3799 come to the House floor for a vote, I will consider it with your views in mind.
Michael T. McCaul
Member of Congress
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

I admit I'm surprised my Representative, John Culberson, is not a a cosponsor. He'll be hearin' from me.

I'd really like to see this passed. There's no fathomable reason not to "de-criminalize" suppressors, and several reasons they're good for people, animals, and the environment.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

Skiprr wrote:I admit I'm surprised my Representative, John Culberson, is not a a cosponsor. He'll be hearin' from me.

I'd really like to see this passed. There's no fathomable reason not to "de-criminalize" suppressors, and several reasons they're good for people, animals, and the environment.
This important bill should be pass...for the children you know!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

Just sent email the Michael Burgess, Dis. 26.
Surprised he has not co-sponsored.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

7 more cosponsors added yesterday. Up to 68 now with 2 more from Texas; Rep. Marchant, Kenny [R-TX-24] and Rep. Williams, Roger [R-TX-25]
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

jason812
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jason812 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:7 more cosponsors added yesterday. Up to 68 now with 2 more from Texas; Rep. Marchant, Kenny [R-TX-24] and Rep. Williams, Roger [R-TX-25]
It's nice to see Williams cosponsor this bill. I was going to ask him, now I think I will send him a thank you.

Hopefully this will pass and will be the first step to repealing the NFA.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

superstar

Post by superstar »

What is the magic number of sponsors to pass the Hearing Protection Act?

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

flowrie wrote:Just sent email the Michael Burgess, Dis. 26.
Surprised he has not co-sponsored.
Just emailed Dr. Burgess as well. :patriot:
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

jason812
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jason812 »

superstar wrote:What is the magic number of sponsors to pass the Hearing Protection Act?
There is no magic number. The more sponsors, the more likely chance to get a hearing and a vote. The floor vote plus a vote in the Senate plus a signature by Trump would mean it passed.

I sent a thank you to Roger Williams.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Can we work on 18 USC 922o also....? Nah...I didn't think so.... :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Received a response this morning.

Dear Mr. parabelum:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act of 2017. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

This bill was introduced by Rep. Jeff Duncan on January 9, 2017, and this bill would remove sound suppressors from regulation under the National Firearms Act, and would reclassify them to be treated as ordinary firearms subject to the usual NICS check and Form 4473 for dealer sales. Currently suppressors are subjected to the National Firearms Act's application process.

Currently, H.R. 367 is being reviewed in the House Ways and Means and the House Judiciary Committees. While I do not serve on these committees, rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before the House for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me; I appreciate hearing your opinion on this issue. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call, write, or email me. For more information on my work in Congress or to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter, please visit the 11th District's website at http://www.conaway.house.gov. You can also follow me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/mike.conaway and watch my speeches and interviews on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/mikeconaway11.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd »

My Representative, Jeb Hensarling, is already a cosponsor. This bill makes sense on so many levels.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Federal”