What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

GAO: Study on Attempts to buy guns on internet

Post by ELB »

https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/688535.pdf
GAO agents attempted to purchase firearms from Dark Web and Surface Web marketplaces. Agents made seven attempts to purchase firearms on the Dark Web. In these attempts, agents did not disclose any information about whether they were prohibited from possessing a firearm. Of these seven attempts, two on a Dark Web marketplace were successful. Specifically, GAO agents purchased and received an AR-15 rifle and an Uzi that the seller said was modified so that it would fire automatically. GAO provided referral letters to applicable law-enforcement agencies for these purchases to inform any ongoing investigations.

Tests performed on the Surface Web demonstrated that private sellers GAO contacted on gun forums and other classified ads were unwilling to sell a firearm to an individual who appeared to be prohibited from possessing a firearm. Of the 72 attempts agents made to purchase firearms on the Surface Web, 56 sellers refused to complete a transaction: 29 sellers stated they would not ship a firearm and 27 refused after the disclosure of the undercover identities’ stated prohibited status. Furthermore, in 5 of these 72 attempts, the accounts GAO set up were frozen by the websites, which prevented the agents from using the forums and attempting to make a purchase.
Cliff's' notes: GAO tried 72 times to buy firearms on the normal internet using scenarios that would reveal prohibited person information and everyone of them failed.

The GAO also got scammed twice on the "Surface Web", sending $$ but receiving no firearm.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: GAO: Study on Attempts to buy guns on internet

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

So the takeaway here is that there is no "gun show loophole" and private gun sellers have enough ethics and common sense to avoid selling guns to criminals.

I'm gonna guess that if this gets any air play at all in the MSM, the tag line will be slightly different...

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

but but but, it's easier in inner city Chicago to get a glock than a library book.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

allisji wrote:but but but, it's easier in inner city Chicago to get a glock than a library book.
In the inner city of Chicago you might need a Glock to safely walk to the library, so there actually could be some truth to that. Although I don't think your average street criminal is going to go with a Glock when there are other, cheaper options out there. The accuracy and reliability difference between a Glock and a Hi-point is not all that great when you are holding it sideways in one hand while you use the other hand to hold your pants up. Plus just think about all the crack they can buy with the money they save.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Wonder why the report is addressed to Democrats Cummings, Schatz and Warren, but not to any Republicans? Did these three initiate an investigation by the GAO in an attempt to further their agenda? Do the Democrats once again look like fools? (Answer to last one is definitely yes)
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

bblhd672 wrote:Wonder why the report is addressed to Democrats Cummings, Schatz and Warren, but not to any Republicans? Did these three initiate an investigation by the GAO in an attempt to further their agenda? Do the Democrats once again look like fools? (Answer to last one is definitely yes)
Yes, they requested the report from the GAO.
USAF 1982-2005

rotor

Post by rotor »

On page 29 of the report one of the crooks had been an FBI agent. For all of his criminal activities he only got 2 years in prison.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

GAO = Government Accounting Office, correct? Why are they doing undercover stings related to firearm purchases? If anybody is going to do this, shouldn't it be BATF or maybe some division within the FBI?

edit: Oops, never mind. I just opened the report and GAO = Government Accountability Office, not Accounting. Still not quite sure what their jurisdiction is over this but apparently it's under the pretext of monitoring ATF's effectiveness in enforcing.... what exactly?
Last edited by Scott Farkus on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

It sounds like the legitimate sellers are following the law.

It's no surprise they could illegally buy guns in the same online blackmarketplaces where you can illegally buy heroin and stolen identities, hire a hit man, and so on if you pay with Bitcoin.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I'm pretty sure the GAO agent does not have a class 3 tax stamp. Can we get him arrested for illegal possession of a class 3 item (that converted uzi)? :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Hooray for us, the law-abiding majority of gun enthusiasts.

They probably missed another point. I imagine if it gets out a gun dealer will make shady deals, he'll lose his law-abiding market. I know I wouldn't have anything to do with an iffy gun shop, and it's not just because I've turned into a hand-wringing prude. It's a risk.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Scott Farkus wrote:GAO = Government Accounting Office, correct? Why are they doing undercover stings related to firearm purchases? If anybody is going to do this, shouldn't it be BATF or maybe some division within the FBI?

edit: Oops, never mind. I just opened the report and GAO = Government Accountability Office, not Accounting. Still not quite sure what their jurisdiction is over this but apparently it's under the pretext of monitoring ATF's effectiveness in enforcing.... what exactly?
From report:
Congressional requesters asked that GAO assess the extent to which ATF is enforcing existing laws and investigate whether online private sellers sell firearms to people who are not allowed or eligible to possess a firearm.
ATF enforcement was one question. The other was seeing if private sellers will sell to prohibited persons. That second question got a solid answer.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Federal”